Today we made a flip flop out of bamboo - Bear Grylls eat your heart out


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Pai
March 31st 2012
Published: March 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hello hello hello!

I have finally got myself into gear and added some photos from the last few days in Pai and added them to some previous posts. I hope they give you a good feel of the place.



Last night was a good-un, meeting some friends and then seeing more and more people we knew along the way until we were a huge multi-national group all chilling together. (There was even a girl from Tenby there!) It ended not with the usual cheesy chips we would get back home but with take away pad thai (noodles) which was an unusual but great way to finish the night.



We still had one more waterfall to visit today but we were told it was a fair walk .. how long exactly no one seems to know. It changes all the time switching between 3 kms and 7 kms .. (which does make a difference in this heat) Regardless we decided the walk would be fun and a bit of a jungle adventure.



Well an adventure is an understatement. The walk involved us walking through jungle and rivers constantly and eventually took over 2 hours to get there. In this time my shoes wore away because of the water and we were attacked for the middle third of the journey by huge spiders!! (Andy appropriately named that part Spider-ville). We eventually reach the waterfall and its pretty small - (more like a series of small falls with little pools_ but the water was clear and cold and we had a quick swim before heading back.

On the way back Andys Flip flop broke .. with still 2 hours walking to go!! I also threw our water bottle down a little fall and we watched in desperation as we saw our only water bottle float off into the distance. We started to head back (with Andy with one shoe and no water between us) but it was so rocky in the water that it was agony for Andy to walk and a two hour piggy back didn't really appeal to me, so we tried to be resourceful and I found some extremely strong and bendy plant and managed to tie his shoe to his foot .. and it worked!

Also, just as spirits were dropping, along came a little dog that we named Fido (im not sure why) and Fido led us the whole way back. The highlight for me was when we came to quite a wide river crossing and Fido couldn't get across and andy lifted him over the water. Best thing I have ever seen.



We are back in Pai now and both sets of our shoes are in the bin. But it was worth it for our jungle adventure.

We had planned to move on tomorrow morning .... but I don't see that happening. We wanna soak up this place just a tiny bit longer.



Love to all becky@andy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb