Rags to Riches


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Mae Hong Son
January 9th 2013
Published: January 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Pai after leaving the quick mountain biking from the day. We showered, then went into town for a massage, drinks and dinner. We also did a bit of shoping. Pai is small but has an active downtown. We had to walk into town but got a tuk tuk to get us back to the hotel. The next morning we were met at the hotel to start our rafting.

We rafted the Pai river for 2 days. Unfortunately the water level was very low so there wasn't a lot of big rapids. we still had a good time, especially Shelly. The food was interesting - we tried some new fruits and lunch was a rice dish wrapped in a bananna leave. After about 5.5 hours of rafting we arrived at camp.

ok, Thai people can't estiimate time or distance and on this trip it was really evident. They would say it was 15 minutes and it would be 45 minutes... It does start to get annoying and you just don't believe anything.

Our accomindations were well - very primitive. We had an outdoor squat toilet and a bamboo platform with mosquito net. I new it would be rough but I really am too old for this. I did sleep some but not much. At night we did sit around the camp fire and that was fun.

The next morning we got up to raft more. our flight out of mae Hong Son was at 4:00 and we kept reminding them. at 2:15 they said 15 more minutes. at 3:00 we told our guide to not rest we were paddling till we got back. We get to the take out around 3:15 and they still lolly gag. Shelly rushes them up and finally we leave for the 15 minute drive to the airport (really only about 20 minutes). we do get there for the flight back to Chiang Mai.

In Chaing mai we get back to the hotel we were staying at and get our other suitcase. we repack, go out to eat then hit the bed early.

Today we woke early for our 7am flight to Phuket. The flights went well and the hotel picked us up at the airport. We paid for the transfer before we left the USA. Ok, this is the hotel we splurged on and have a suite. The car was a nice car and they had cold water and had towel in the car waiting for us. We knew we were in for a good stay.

The hotel is great and we have a good view. Resting now and then we will hit Patong Beach later for dinner and walking.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

tropical fruit tropical fruit
tropical fruit

you should have seen it before I opened it up on the end.


10th January 2013

Hi from Patty's friend from NH
Hi from a fellow world traveler. Enjoying your blog - flashbacks to my trip to Thailand, though yours is way more adventuresome. Train travel a challenge, recall you will get a "yes" if you ask if this is the train to..anywhere... regardless of where it is headed. Be wary of pick up truck "cabs" but all in all lovely people. Your photos are fantastic!

Tot: 0.382s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb