Cakes, Cafes, Cabbages and Condoms


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Rai
April 29th 2012
Published: May 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Chiang RaiChiang RaiChiang Rai

Wat Phra Singh
Chiang Rai was our last stop in northern Thailand and our stay there had a few ups and a few downs. One of the downs was our very damp guesthouse room which came complete with mould on the bathroom ceiling. Another down was spending, what seemed like hours, getting lost and walking in circles in the heat, trying to find a temple on a hill to where the Rough Guide had beckoned us with the promise of a fine river view. However, when we eventually found it, the view was distinctly average, with no sign of the river.

On the plus side we enjoyed perusing the stalls of the weekend night market, which had some pretty cool non-tourist-tat for sale, and also enjoyed food from the day market. The themed décor at Cabbages and Condoms kept us amused. In case, you are wondering, this is a restaurant and family planning initiative that has helped to significantly lower the population growth rate in Thailand. Another highlight was the endless cafes with delicious breakfasts, mid-morning, lunch time and mid-afternoon, muffins, cakes and snacks which was where we ended up spending most of our time.

From Chiang Rai, we took the bus
Chiang RaiChiang RaiChiang Rai

A replica of the Emerald Buddha in Bangkok in Wat Phra Kaeo
to Chiang Khong where it was only a hop, skip and a jump across the Mekong and across the border to Houayxai in Laos. This was meant to be a short overnight stay, however, unfortunately Cel was ill again with a bad viral infection, so overnight turned into 3 nights. Luckily our guesthouse had cable TV with several English movie channels, which turned out to be a standard in Laos, so made our lengthy stay on a bed with a broken mattress in a boring border town passable. On our last night Cel was feeling better, so we ventured out to a restaurant for dinner where we sat under the stars eating some local grub and meeting some nice fellow travellers and volunteers. It must have been either the company or beers that meant we had a fun night, despite the fact it absolutely chucked it down and all the diners had to be moved inside the kitchen and sit on the floor. The first rain we’d seen in months.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Chiang RaiChiang Rai
Chiang Rai

The city navel pillar, built on the same hill the city was founded on in 1263 and thought to be the spiritual middle or navel of the city.
Chiang RaiChiang Rai
Chiang Rai

Pork skewers and sticky rice wrapped in banana leaf
Chiang RaiChiang Rai
Chiang Rai

Chiang Rai's golden clock tower by day...
Chiang RaiChiang Rai
Chiang Rai

...and by night
Chiang RaiChiang Rai
Chiang Rai

A restaurant chain and family planning NGO
Chiang RaiChiang Rai
Chiang Rai

Meet Captain Condom
Chiang RaiChiang Rai
Chiang Rai

He's actually made from condoms
Chiang RaiChiang Rai
Chiang Rai

Pretty street lanterns
Chiang RaiChiang Rai
Chiang Rai

Not really what we fancied for dinner!
Chiang KhongChiang Khong
Chiang Khong

The Thai/Laos border
Chiang KhongChiang Khong
Chiang Khong

The 5 minute boat ride across the Mekong river to enter Laos
Chiang KhongChiang Khong
Chiang Khong

Bye bye Thailand see you again soon


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb