Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 19th 2010
Published: January 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Nellie and Monk were outside the hotel this morning at 9:30 waiting to be whisked off to their Thai cookery class. Monk had booked today, which was an introduction to the ingredients and some basic dishes, and also Thursday which includes a trip to the market in the morning before cooking our purchases in the afternoon.

The dishes for today are shown in the photos.

After cooking each dish, we all retired to the tables and tasted the results of our efforts. Monk thought that he and Nellie had done quite well and everything tasted authentically Thai. It was an awful lot of food to have to consume during the day though. Monk went on a fast in the evening and opted for just a couple of Chang beers.

The course, at the 'Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School' is run by Sompon Nabnian and was apparently the first Thai cookery course to open in Chiang Mai in 1993. Sompon has had rave reviews about his course and has also produced a Thai cookery series for the UKTV Style channel - he's apparently a sort of Thai Jamie Oliver and is often on Thai television. Monk found the course interesting and worthwhile - he even went the whole hog and bought the apron. However, he thought the class size a bit too large at around 40. This though was perfect for Nellie who introduced herself to everybody and posed for photographs with each of the dishes she'd helped prepare. You can read about the cookery school on www.thaicookeryschool.com.

Several people enquired about Nellie's charity work and Monk handed out her card as usual. Hopefully she'll get more followers when they get back to the UK and can text to follow Nellie. Monk spent some time at the dining table with a young American couple who were based at Okinawa in Japan with the U.S. air force. Marcus is an F15 fighter pilot and we discussed the possibility of Nellie going with him back to Okinawa to have her picture taken at the controls of an F15 before being sent back home to Monk. Monk felt that he couldn't possibly excuse her from her travels for such a long period of time - after all, she has her duties to her followers to consider!




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb