Chiang Mai day 1


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
May 10th 2007
Published: May 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Got up feeling incredibly hung over.

Went down stairs to the Cafe and got talking to two germans (Kie and Julienne.) and had breakfast.

Later went for a small wonder around Chiang Mai but only got as far as the main strip where the moat is and and remains of the City Wall.

Chiang mai is a sweet place. much calmer then Bankok and very relaxing. Its quite tidey and is beautifuly light at night, especially down Th Moon Muang road.
Had lunch at a small cafe and watched the world go by for a bit. Then surfed the net for a bit. Feeling a little rough I headed back to the hostel and had a siesta before chilling in the cafe downstairs for a bit (they had a crapy comedy on.)
I had dinner at the Guest house. Venetia and Chressie got back after a long day at the Markets with a rather large bag of shopping.

That evening we all went to watch some Thai Boxing. At first we were a little shocked to discover that the first two fighters were 8 year old boys! This was a little hard to watch at first
Blindfolded boxingBlindfolded boxingBlindfolded boxing

This was the intermission of the night and to be honest the kids did seem to be having fun. Especially when the ref got knock over on to his back!
as they were probably the more aggressive. There were about six fights which made its way up the age groups (with a girl fight in the middle.) Thai boxing makes normal boxing look like ballet. Its very intence and aggressive. Often the opponents clung on to each other and spent long durations of time taking it in turns to knee the crap out of eachothers ribs and kidneys. Here we met a couple of Venetias friends, a really lovely couple whos names unfortunatly now escape me.

Later we headed out again to Spices. Thankfully tonight there were no ladyboys (I guess they dont come out on Thursdays.) But the massage happy toilet attendants were still there. Anyway we had a good laugh and later feeling peckish had a trully excellent burger down the road.

Thursday must be hooker night as there were a fare few along the main strip being picked up by some westerners.

Got back safely at 4ish.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



25th May 2007

So when they're in the club, they're ladyboys. But when they're out on the street, they're hookers. You know, maybe Wednesday is their night off and they all go clubbing.

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 78; dbt: 0.132s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb