Nonthaburi (Day 2)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Nonthaburi
January 1st 2011
Published: January 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, 1st January 2011


Our first day of 2011 was spent cruising through the waters of Bangkok along the meandering Chao Phraya River. After a hearty local breakfast this morning, we made our way to the Central Pier situated next to Saphan Taksin BTS Station to begin our upriver journey to Nonthaburi (Pier #30). This was the furthest point we could get to on the Chao Phraya River Express Boats. The fare was a mere 14 baht for the 75 minutes journey from downtown Bangkok.

Upon boarding the boat, we wasted no time in finding a “fengshui” seat next to the captain where it commanded an unobstructed view of the river. Enroute, we passed through a couple of tourist sites in Bangkok including the imposing Wat Arun Temple Complex and Chinatown.

Disembarking on the city of Nonathburi about an hour later, we were greeted by an imposing City Hall Building where it was now converted to a living Museum. Admission to the premises was free as we spent the next hour browsing through the various galleries while chit-chatting with the friendly caretaker of the premises.

Lunch was a simple affair at one of the many noodle stands where we ordered a bowl of pork noodles each. It was delicious and at 30 baht per person, the price was hard to beat.

Cruising back to Bangkok after lunch was no less interesting as the cool breeze from the river provided a respite from the hot weather.

I loved travelling by the express boats in Bangkok as they allowed us to come in close contact with fellow Bangkokians. This was certainly more interesting than shopping at the glitzy malls and the touristy weekend market.

And Nonthaburi certainly provided a good escape from the busy capital via this easy DIY day trip.







Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb