Another cool week-end in Thailand...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Samet
March 30th 2014
Published: March 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

No flights...no crossing of any border for 3 weeks...but it doesn't mean we cannot discover a little more what is just next to home. If you didn't know, life is pretty nice in Bangkok, I'm sure you knew it already!



So another week-end at home...or is it? Friday night, it was party time with few friends at Ku de Ta...a new drinking establishment in Bangkok...on more high place...if I do remember well, it was floor 39!



Saturday morning, I woke up early, as I had to pick up few "things" at Chatuchak...the famous market is better than any Alibaba place...and trust me, you don't have to be a tourist to come here...locals do to as I have done the last few week-ends while in Bangkok . Time for our traditional week-end Thai food lunch next to home with Leslie and Tiffany. Than came the little nap...because it's never a bad thing to enjoy a little nap. At 4pm, we picked-up our rental car, for the 100km to our friends home, near Chonburi...down there in the middle of nowhere...where the barbecues are amazing...and the wine even more! That was it for Saturday...sorry, no pictures!



From Manu and Madeleine place, the pier to Ko Samet is just over an hour drive. So we all took our cars early Sunday after a cool breakfast...for the island...down there...



I have been living for a while in Thailand, and never made it to Ko Samet. The island is a week-end refuge for the city dwellers of Bangkok...and few Russians too. Slight problem, I find the prices charged for bungalows simply ridiculous. Paying 3200b for a double bed, or 4500b for a "family unit"...in a basic resort bungalow on the beach...come on, this is crazy. So we spent the day...enjoy it...and for sure if we have to do it again, we will do exactly the same thing.



I have to admit, I wouldn't do it from Bangkok in a single day....but a great dinner with friends in the middle...is a pretty cool way to do it.



We took a private speed boat...picking up a beach...on the map. The beach was pretty cool.....with very few tourists...bungalows may be full...resorts being small....it simply doesn't feel crowded. The speed boat ride is just short of 30 minutes from mainland, and you book ahead your pick-up time....told you, Thailand is a great place to live....were life...is pretty easy.



Once on our beach, you walk it up and down before making a choice on a restaurant...where you lay your belongings...and head for the beach. Noboby ever bother to come to tell us...welcome, you sit here...now you order...we had to call them after an hour...for few beers....and it took us even longer to order food. Let be honest, we eat better Thai seafood in Bangkok than on most beaches in Thailand....this is a reality...but still...nice lunch...huge lunch!



The kids had a great time...on the sand, in the water...and by the table for the food! The adults....well....if the kids are happy...and the beer is cold....we can live too!



Coming back home...was something else...fair enough...30 minutes speed boat is cool and relax....but than, back to Bangkok, it took us a good 3 hours drive...this is life...you either party in Bangkok for the week-end....or you hit the road...for all the great places we have around...and we all come back together....because Monday...is back to school!



And this coming Friday...it's school holidays...it's bubble time...on few islands...sun...sun...sea...and bubbles...we are coming!



But before this, thanks a lot Madeleine and Manu for this cool week-end...next time....it's party time...at home...and no blog on this!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb