THAI VEGETABLE CARVING DAY


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 17th 2014
Published: June 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Mint, the girl that teaches fruit and vegetable carving was schedule to leave to Singapore soon so I had asked to have my class with her as soon as possible. Everyone speakes really good of her carving training and skills and I have actually seen and photographed her stunning work. I was very exited about my class and I was looking forward to it.

In Thailand, the art of fruit and vegetable carving has been handed down from generation to genetation. Thai children are taught to carve various things, especially the fruits and vegetable normally served at daily meals. It's common to see tomatoes carved into roses, carrots into corn, mangoes into leaves, etc.

I learned how to make a basket out of a cucumber, a curling tree out of a green onion, a rose out of a tomato peet, a flower out of a red chili (that was the most difficult one for me), a corn out of an orange chili, leaves with carrots, a corn out of a mango and then we made a pretty garden on a plate.

I had a lot of fun and it was a time to relax. I bought one of the specialized knives from the chef for 900THB. These special knives are normally about $120USD!

Having the proper tool is definitely important but also working slow and putting your head and heart into each cut is definitely key.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Black Coconut Sweet Pudding-Kanom PiakpoonBlack Coconut Sweet Pudding-Kanom Piakpoon
Black Coconut Sweet Pudding-Kanom Piakpoon

Made out of ashes of coconut hair
Black Coconut Sweet Pudding-Kanom PiakpoonBlack Coconut Sweet Pudding-Kanom Piakpoon
Black Coconut Sweet Pudding-Kanom Piakpoon

Made out of the ashes or coconut hair
Traditional Thai Vegetable Carving-5Traditional Thai Vegetable Carving-5
Traditional Thai Vegetable Carving-5

Mango-View of the 2 leaves


17th June 2014

Vegetable carving
What an art.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb