Jackpot!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 26th 2014
Published: February 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

As I've mentioned previously, I go to a pub quiz each week. My team members and I look forward to it and, without a doubt, it's a few of the best hours of my week. One of our members left Bangkok but now has started returning every other week. It's like a reunion each time.

This week, we added a fifth member who we like and promises to come back. The quiz began and it was a race to the bottom. As the rounds went by, we sat there, but then realized that other teams were using their bonus round points before us. So, while were in last place, it was mostly due to other teams already cashing in the opportunity for double points. Heading into the fifth and final round, we still sat at the bottom, but were one of only 2 teams (of 15) who hadn't used our bonus round points.

The fifth round was about the Academy Awards. Somehow we'd picked this as our bonus round because the new guy said he knew quite a bit about them. And he was right. For all the questions, save one, he was scribbling the answer down before the pub quiz master had even finished reading the question aloud. (They're displayed on TVs around the pub.) The one that he didn't know, I knew straight away, and we had ten answers.

8 were correct. Times 2, that's 16 points. And we got the extra point question at the end.

We came in second and were awarded free beer coupons for the next week!

Then came the bonus round. The bonus round consists of three really hard questions and spelling counts. Teams only win it once every few months. This time, it was our turn. We were the only team to know the answer to all three questions, in particular the last question about June Carter Cash. A 5000 Baht jackpot was ours! I was shocked and let out a little squeal. When they gave us our vouchers (free beers for the next month!) I was still in shock.

Two hours later, getting ready for bed, I was still beaming.

I can't wait for next week.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb