Wat Pho Bangkok Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 20th 2013
Published: June 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday had planned to visit the Grand Palace, however got to Wat Pho first so slight change of plan. The day started I with a short trip on the BTS Skyrail which is a great way of getting around Bangkok, quick easy and cheap you avoid all the traffic. Arrived at Sachan Taksin which is the stop which gets you to the Chao Phraya river. Walked under the bridge and on to the jetty which was very wobbly, haven't got my sea legs yet!! A small boat came along the river, which was at a much lower level than the jetty so am guessing must be tidal. Consequently it was a bit of a scramble to get into the boat, no steps or anything, well this is Thailand!!!!! And the water was a choppy!! Once in the boat we shot off as if in a race up the river getting constantly sprayed with river water, hoping it wasn't too polluted!! Arrived at the jetty for the Grand Palace and Wat Pho and as Wat Pho was literally across the road from the jetty decided to do this first. What a feast of intricate artwork, history and buddha's. The first temple was of the giant reclining Buddha, which is enormous, must be at least ten meters high and couldn't really guess at the length of it. Each building held its own Buddha, some smaller and some huge. There were also spires made of the most intricate mosaic which were all different colours, cream, gold, blue and green, the work that went into these,amazing!! The day was extremely hot and free water was provided with your ticket, I arrived around 9.30am so by 1.30pm I was pretty hot and sticky. Whilst I was there I decided to checkout where the Grand Palace was although I knew this would have to be done on another day. I wondered through the labyrinth of market stalls along the river side until I reached the Palace gates. After this I stopped off for lunch at a market stall, haven't got a clue what I ate apart from vegetable rolls but it tasted divine. Back to the river for a boat trip back to the station not quite as exciting as the first trip but you can't have everything. ha ha.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb