Good bye Bangkok, hello Cambodia...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 10th 2012
Published: December 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

4 am start today, Cambodia here we come.

I think after 10 days of Bangkok, Richard and I ready to say our good byes, its great but the hassel all gets habit too much at points we are in need of a lower gear.

So after no problem at all purchasing pur tickets to Aranya Prathet, 48 baht each for a 6 hour train journey! Crazy. Anyone that is worried about being able to get tickets for the train in time, don't... We got there half an hour before, got our tickets had to e for a smoothy and still got four seats together on the train.

I must admit I had heard some stories about these train journeys and wasn't looking forward to it much but it was a lot better than expected, the seats aren't the most comfortable but for £1 what do you expect. As long as you have plenty of food and water to see you thorough it'll be , it is a very stop, start journey as the train has to atop to allow traffic across the crossings at certain points...crazy but hey its Bangkok!

We arrive at Aranya Prathet at 12.30 and immediately the tuk tuk drivers are hanging in through the windows all desperate to get your custom, luckily you do need a tuk tuk to get to the broader so this saves you hunting for them. We paid 150baht between 4.

The journey is about 5km, how they fitted 4 of us in with all our luggage I'll never know.

We were dropped off at the government building before the boarder to fill in our departure cards and our entry cards for Cambodia, we also arranged a taxi here to take us to Some Reap. This is arranged by the goverment people within the building (they have ID cards) the guy that arranged ours came through the boarder with us and gave us a few tips along the way.

Getting I to Cambodia was not a problem at all, we all had our visa's already sotthankfully no scams.

We were told that the there is currency exchange on the Cambodian side of the boarded that will exchange baht to Riel for no charge, good tip!!

Sure enough our taxi is ready to go when we get there 2 hours to Some Reap, with a short pit stop at a shop, they also a very talkative mocking bird.....talking in English!

We eventually arrive at the hotel we had booked for the night, Golden Banana.... The welcome was so friendly I don't know whether it was the Cambodian charm or just a little gem of a place. We were met at the entrance, our bags taken, sat down and given cold towels and fresh fruit juice, the place was in immaculate and the pool was calling our names. The rooms were lovely, it just got better and better : )

Advertisement



Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb