Bangkok City


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 27th 2011
Published: December 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We flew into Bangkok today from Chiang Mai, met up with our Guide, Jay, and headed out for a half day of exploring Bangkok City. Our first stop was a quick lunch of local noodles. We both got a bowl of noodles and shared a soda for $3 USD or 100 Baht. Crazy cheap but so good.



We walked across the street to the Grand Palace and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. The Grand Palace complex was established in 1782 and it consists of not only the royal residence and throne halls, but also a number of government offices as well as the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. The Grand Palace was built after King Rama I ascended to the throne and was built with both European and Thai architectural styles.



When found in a Chiang Rai Stupa in 1434, the Emerald Buddha was thought to be a common Buddha. Later, the abbot who had found the Buddha noticed that the plaster was flaking off of its nose revealing the green stone underneath. The abbot initially thought that the stone was emerald and thus the legend of the Emerald Buddha began. Once all of the plaster was removed it was determined to be carved from a single piece of jade. Three times a year, the King comes to change the costume of the Buddha. It is currently dressed for winter. The Prince has taken over this job since the King is now 84.



Next we took a cruise down the Chao Phraya River. We saw some of the areas that had recently suffered flooding and toured the 3rd Capital of Siam (Thailand) complex. The capital was eventually moved from this location because it was too close to the river making it vulnerable to attack. The current capital is the 5th one.



We checked into our hotel and after a little rest, we headed out to the Hard Rock Café for some American food. We do love Thai food but a break was well needed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

King's FlagKing's Flag
King's Flag

The King was born on a Monday so his flag is yellow.
Emerald BuddhaEmerald Buddha
Emerald Buddha

Carved from a piece of jade.
The Royal Monastery of the Emerald BuddhaThe Royal Monastery of the Emerald Buddha
The Royal Monastery of the Emerald Buddha

The building in the back with the red, green and white roof houses the Emerald Buddha. The building in front is part of the Upper Terrace.
Close UpClose Up
Close Up

Close up of the tile work on the Royal Monastery.
Multi Headed SnakeMulti Headed Snake
Multi Headed Snake

Found on all Thia Temples
Boy Angels & DemonsBoy Angels & Demons
Boy Angels & Demons

On the Royal Pantheon on The Upper Terrace
PaintingPainting
Painting

These are restored often and painted with actual gold.
Tea CupsTea Cups
Tea Cups

The structure was restored using tea cups from China.


Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1165s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb