Day 139: farewell, KSR


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 2nd 2010
Published: February 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Good ol' Khaosan Road. Or KSR, as we affectionately call it. KSR is like an oasis (or a cesspool, depending who you ask) in the middle of Bangkok. If you walk 10 minutes away in any direction, you would be in the heart of Bangkok with not a tourist / backpacker in sight. There's really nowhere else like it that we have been. It is just so over the top - millions of souveniers, all the supplies you need, tons of used book stores, loud clubs that stay open all night, cheap street food, sweaty old men that have been in Thailand way too long, inexperienced travelers about to start their first adventure, live music, neon lights, getting accausted by vendors selling suits, massages, tattoos.... Love it or hate it, it is almost inevitably on the itinerary of anyone passing through southeast asia.

We are here for our 4th time this trip. I think we've pretty much become experts at this point. We know where the cheapest internet in KSR is (we're there now), where to get the best spring rolls and the best breakfast, where the pharmacies are, how much a tuk-tuk should cost to the train station, how much a taxi should cost to the airport. We have our basic guest house to sleep cheap, and our more upscale hotel if we want AC, TV and a swimming pool. Every time we've passed through we've had a list of supplies we need to buy, or things we need to get rid of, and we've always been able to cross everything off the list.

But sadly, it is time to say goodbye for a while. Tonight we fly to the Philippines, and then it's back to the US, with no more stops in Bangkok. But I'm sure KSR will still be here for years to come, and probably will just get even more over the top as time goes on. So here's to you, KSR, until we meet again.

I'll leave you with a picture of Mr. Thailand, who we've seen every time we have passed through. And yes, his passenger is a baby.



Advertisement



2nd February 2010

wrapping it up
reading your KSR tribute, i grew nostalgic with you - your 4th time on KSR (!), quite the seasoned wanderers - we are so-o-o looking forward to joining you in Puerto Princesa - safe travels till then!
2nd February 2010

Need to aim that camera a little higher
Can barely see the Starbucks Coffee sign! I knew they were everywhere!

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb