Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 23rd 2009
Published: March 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

River TaxiRiver TaxiRiver Taxi

Mass transit in Bangkok through the canals to Old City.
Our first day in Bangkok was about relaxing and spending time with family; and good thing too because nothing can prepare you for the chaos of a city as busy and expansive as Bangkok. We spent one full day visiting various temples and palaces in and around Bangkok, the most notable being the Grand Palace and Wat Pho, where the famous “Reclining Buddah” resides. We got a chance to utilize all of Bangkok’s public transportation systems from the Subway and SkyTrain to Tuk-Tuk’s and longtail boats. One of the most interesting parts of the day was when we took the longtail boat off of the main river in Bangkok, the Chao Phraya, down some of the smaller canals. It was amazing how you could see what was left of the infrastructure of a city that was once based completely on waterways for transport.

The next day we headed further out of town to Ayutthaya, the former capital of Siam for 417 years before it became Thailand. Basically all ruins now, the temples here were mostly destroyed when the Burmese attacked and burned the city down. Betty thoroughly enjoyed herself the following day when she lost herself in some of the massive malls in the city, which are conveniently all connected together. Finally, a visit to Damnern Saduak, one of the more well-known floating markets in Thailand and a nice massage to round out this bout in Bangkok. Now we are packing our bags and heading back to Rayong for a few days of relaxation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Ringing BellsRinging Bells
Ringing Bells

You have to ring all the bells for good luck, and there are a lot of them... at the Golden Mount.
Saturday's Buddah ImageSaturday's Buddah Image
Saturday's Buddah Image

The day you were born is the image you pray to. Betty's was Saturday.
Wednesday MorningWednesday Morning
Wednesday Morning

Brandon's was Wednesday. There is one for Wednesday Morning and one for Wednesday Evening.
Tuk-TukTuk-Tuk
Tuk-Tuk

Rider's perspective.
Betty, Air, and BrandonBetty, Air, and Brandon
Betty, Air, and Brandon

On our way to the Grand Palace with our tour guide. She was great! www.airtourguide.com
Lotus FlowerLotus Flower
Lotus Flower

...and Viruncamban, at the Grand Palace.
The Emerald BuddahThe Emerald Buddah
The Emerald Buddah

...wearing his summer garb at the Grand Palace.
Reclining BuddahReclining Buddah
Reclining Buddah

...at Wat Pho
Head ShotHead Shot
Head Shot

...of the Reclining Buddah
Head to ToeHead to Toe
Head to Toe

...of the Relining Buddah
Row of BuddahsRow of Buddahs
Row of Buddahs

...at Wat Pho
Monitor LizardMonitor Lizard
Monitor Lizard

In the canals of Bangkok


25th March 2009

Put a smile on my face
Finally I get back from my wimpy travels and what is waiting for me...all the lovely stories and pictures I've been so eager to see. It is so wonderful to follow you guys through your travels and see all the beautiful things you've been experiencing. Super jealous! Miss you both and hope every day opens your eyes a little more. Love you both :-)

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb