Thai...thai...tired.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 8th 2008
Published: November 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Stepping off the plane, I couldn't tell we were anywhere special. Claiming our bags and Customs went really quick. As soon as we stepped out of secured area, we knew we weren't in Kansas anymore.
So many things hit you at once. It could be the heat and humidity. A digital readout stated 28 degrees. We came from -25.
It could be the pandemonium and noise. There were hundreds of new arrived people, (seems most flights arrive between 19:00 and midnight) and the hundreds waiting to pick them up or sell them something felt that yelling was the easiest way to get your attention, even if you are standing right next to them.
Or it could be the smell. Every place in the world has its own smell and Thailand is no different. Its a smell that I can't place but know will follow me the whole trip.
Regardless of the confusion, I have a master plan worked out. We push our way to an ATM machine and I take out 5000 baht. We then work or way through a crowd of touts offering us rides into the city for 1000 baht to a news stand and buy some gum and two bottles of water so we have some change for the taxi.
My friend Kristel told us we should exit via the departure area to avoid the confusion but we forgot to get Thai Baht in Vancouver so we push out doors.
The heat that hits us as we get outside was really hot and moist. And of course the smell was even more poignant.
We stood in the queue for the taxi service all the while, touts were trying to get us to come with them.
We hop into a bright pink cab and after saying "Chai meter and Khao San Road and tolls" we're off into the night.
Of course now everything is very foreign to us and the driver is doing about 130 km/hr. We pass by billboards for products we have never seen before and some that are obviously so international.
The most amazing part is the amount of traffic zig zagging in and out seeming to head all in the same direction.
Its 23:30 in Bangkok and my girl is tired so I hope the ride goes smooth.


Advertisement



2nd July 2009

Why you choose Thailand
Hi Jason, Just read your travel blog and noticed that you have been to Thailand :) I read a simple post in my blog why most American & European love to visit Thailand. http://backfromtravel.com/2009/07/why-american-or-european-like-thailand/ perhaps you can tell me as why you chose to visit Thailand I just want to know for the sake of WHY Thailand??

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb