After Ice Asian Trip 2008


Advertisement
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 17th 2008
Published: October 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

My first lay-over after spending five months in Antarctica is in the beautiful city of Christchurch New Zealand. During the next several days I strolled thru-out the Botanic Gardens. Bordered by the graceful Avon River, the Botanic Gardens truly reflects Christchurch's reputation as the garden city. Founded in 1863 with the planting of an English Oak tree, It boasts the finest single collection... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 342, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

Although the top of the mount has been encased in concrete, the base is still a jumble of bricks and plaster overgrown with trees and bushes. Somewhat curiously, in amongst the vegetation around the base are numerous shrines to departed people. This "graveyard" of sorts includes everything from small plaques to large shrines with Buddha images.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

From the ground, a wide stairway spirals up and around the sides of the mount. There are about 300 very short steps in all. Its not a strenuous climb at all, as the slope is quite gentle and there a numerous spots to stop and see something. However, the best time to visit the temple is during the cool season from late November to January, when not only is the temperature much cooler, but the frangipani trees around the base are in bloom, giving off their wonderful jasmine-like smell.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

One thing to keep in mind before you make the climb is that once you reach the top, there's an admission charge of 10 Baht (about US$ 0.25) to enter the building and gain access to the rooftop terrace. The interior is a large, rather plain and undecorated room with windows along the outside walls while in the center lies the square outer walls of the shrine. A short stairway in the center of each side leads up to the shrine holding the Buddha relic, which lies directly under the chedi on the roof. The shrine is encased in many layers of gold leaf applied by the devout for more than 100 years.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

In the corner of the room that is to your right as you enter is a narrow stairway up to the roof. The first thing you will see upon emerging onto the roof is the huge chedi covered with thousands of gold mosaic tiles. From the rooftop terrace you have a 360 degree view of Bangkok. To the west you can see the prangs and rooftops of the Temple of the Emerald Buddha at the old Grand Palace. Closer in you can see the tips of the Democracy Monument as well as the peaks of Wat Ratchanadda. To the northwest you can see the single pylon of the new Rama VI bridge with its golden threads of suspension cables. Looking east you can see the towers of Bangkok's business district.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

If you exit via the back entrance to the temple, you come out onto a street lined with wood shops. The sights, sounds and smells can be worth a stroll. This is also the easiest way to walk from the Golden Mount to Wat Ratchanadda. Turn right as you exit the temple and walk past the fire station. You'll come to the intersection of two canals and about six streets. Continue on the bridge to your your left over the canal and past the Pom Mahakan fort. Cross the street to Rama III park and you'll see the Loha Prasat in the background.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

One of many canals in Bangkok.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

Photo of King of Thailand with pink and yellow taxi to left on wet city street.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

One of many canals in Bangkok.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok Wat Ratchanatdaram & Loha Prasat.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok Wat Ratchanatdaram & Loha Prasat, with yellow taxi and motor cycle taxi.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok Wat Ratchanatdaram & Loha Prasat.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok Democracy Monument
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok Ministry of Defence.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok Grand Palace Phra Siratana Chedi.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

A group of school children visiting the Bangkok Grand Palace Phra Siratana Chedi.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok Grand Palace Phra Siratana Chedi.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

Looking across Chao Phraya River towards Bangkok Wat Arun Phra Prang.
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

River taxis on the Chao Phraya River
Bangkok, ThailandBangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand

Long tail river taxi.



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb