More Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 15th 2008
Published: August 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Shorter entry today because I've been spending too much time talking to people who are online on facebook! And soon we get on our 12 hour train to Chiang Mai!
So the 13th... First we went to the Golden Buddha (Wat Traimit). It was closed because the King was going there later in the afternoon so they were doing security checks. We got to see the outside though and the King's feast which consisted of whole ducks and pig heads. Delicious... We then went to Wat Pho, the Reclining Buddha. It is huge! Something like 40 meters long! Insane! Then the Grand Palace and the Emerald Buddha (Wat Phrakaew). The Palace was impressive! We only got to see the outside, but still, it was pretty neat! And the Emerald Buddha that's really made out of jade was pretty cool as well. Part of the palace grounds were closed for the "Lying in State" of the King's sister. She died in January and she isn't cremated until November. Long mourning time for the Royal Family!
In the evening we splurged and went to a show! I don't have the brochure with me but I think it was called Siam Niarsit or something along those lines. First we walked through a traditional Thai village that was set up. We got to see the traditional houses, crafts, and sample some traditional food. Pretty neat! Then the show. The theater was amazing with really comfortable chairs and we got seats in the front main section! Lucky! The first part of the show went back in time to Thai history, the second part went into Heaven and Hell and then the third part was Thai celebrations. The costumes were amazing!

On the 14th we did our most touristy thing. We booked a day tour! We first went to Ayutthaya, the Ancient capital of Thailand. There were a bunch of amazing ruins that we got to walk through and climb up on. We also went to Vihan Phra Mongkol Bophit to see the largest bronze Buddha and to Wat Yai Chaimongkhol, a temple. Then Bang-Pa-In Palace, the old summer palace. It's no longer used, but still in really nice condition! We barely had time to walk around all the different buildings. Amazing architecture and intricate designs! Then a lunch boat cruise down the Chaophraya River back to Bangkok. The food was pretty good and we ate tons so we weren't hungry until late at night. Along the bank were a bunch of different temples and Thai houses on stilts. It was a very nice day! I think maybe my favorite! I like exploring ruins.
In the evening we met part of our group. There will be 11 total, but 4 people join us later. Later we had pad thai on the street (AMAZING!) and a banana chocolate crepe which was also delicious!
This morning I had a thai massage for an hour which was very nice and relaxing and less than 8 dollars! It's interesting though because they tell you a price and then make you pay almost that much again as a tip. So it was more than I was expecting, but still cheap and worth it!
Now off to Chiang Mai!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

More Wat PhoMore Wat Pho
More Wat Pho

The courtyard area outside the temple. There was a whole complex with amazing buildings
Wat Phrakaew (Emerald Buddha Temple)Wat Phrakaew (Emerald Buddha Temple)
Wat Phrakaew (Emerald Buddha Temple)

We weren't allowed to take pictures inside, but the outside was amazing as well!


16th August 2008

happy birthday
Happy Birthday to you!!! Happy Birthday to you!!! Happy Birthday Dear Eryn!!! Can you believe you are now 18!! Amazing!!! Hope you have a good day! Hope Brendon does something special for you!!
16th August 2008

hello
Read your more recent blog - the Thai experience so far sounds amazing. Delana and I were in Portland last weekend. Saw all of the extended Eby family. It was 70's there last weekend. Today it is 105 in Portland. Crazy hot. It is supposed to be 58 degrees here today. Our exchange student from Portugal arrives at 4pm today. Hopefully will work well. Happy Birthday - again!!
16th August 2008

olympics
Are you watching the olypics at all? The US women gymnasts finished second as a team, but first and second in individual all-around - a reveral where lukin won and johnson second. I was not sure which to root for - they are both likeable. Individual events over the next three days. Phelps has won 7 golds so far in swimming - 6 world records - one more race for him.....
18th August 2008

I miss you hardcore Eryn! And also I am jealous!

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb