Back in Bangkok, Oh No!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 5th 2005
Published: December 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Khao San RoadKhao San RoadKhao San Road

The street where backpackers meet in Bangkok
2 Nights

We headed back to Bangkok, but this time I was a seasoned traveller, well 3 weeks under my belt anyway. I embraced this city in a whole new way, it is amazing how easier it is when you know what you are doing in a city of 10 million people. Like all of our previous journeys we had made some new friends on the bus trip and hooked up the same guesthouse, ate out for dinner and did activities together. Our new friend was Louise, she was a 30 year old real estate executive from England and about half of the height of me, it was fun showing someone a city I have already been too! This is how travelling here works, you network with people in the know and pool your knowledge to work out how to get around on the cheap and have loads of fun. So far I have only been spending AU$40 a day and this is living it up, now that the drinking has been cut down dramatically I am down to less than AU$25 a day including all accomodation, travel, food and activities.

We had a swimming pool at our guesthouse,
Rane Eating a Grasshopper!Rane Eating a Grasshopper!Rane Eating a Grasshopper!

Insects beware when Rane is around he will eat you!
we hung out here in the mornings, it was a nice luxury.

I liked Bangkok this time around, maybe because it was just two nights and maybe because we knew some better places to eat and we visited the Grand Palace and MBK a 6 storey mega shopping centre with great clothes and things to look at. I am a people watcher from way back and I just marvel at watching people go about there daily thing, and especially in Thailand where Thai people are just amazing to watch. An example is at MBK seeing over 100 young guys glued to a computer screen each playing a war game against one another and like all of Thailand the speakers were at full bore and there was some serious killing going on. Crazy.

Now to the Grand Palace.

The Grand Palace is the former royal residence, now used by the king for ceremonial occactions. This place is massive and houses the grandest monuments I have ever witnessed, including the revered Emerald Buddha. It was sweltering hot but it didn't stop us really checking this place out. Unfortunately everything is written in Thai so I didn't really understand what everything was, but you could distinguish between the prevalent Thai, Khmer and Indian architecture throughout the place, I can't write enough to give this place justice, you will just have to come and see it for yourself!

On to Chang Mai...

We left Bangkok after two nights on our $7 bus ride to Chang Mai (12 hours).



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Run Fire!!!Run Fire!!!
Run Fire!!!

Only in Thailand
Grand PalaceGrand Palace
Grand Palace

Man do I feel stoned!
Grand PalaceGrand Palace
Grand Palace

Smile for the camera
Grand PalaceGrand Palace
Grand Palace

Dude, how long do I have to hold this up for, my back is aching!


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb