Out of the Philippines, into Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 7th 2008
Published: April 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, we're arrived in Bangkok, leaving behind the Philippines. There is not really a whole lot to update about our experience there, as things didn't really progress a whole lot past our early description, so I suppose this will be a kind of "Reflections on our Philippine experience" entry. Bear with me if I get to preachy or overblown - I'm not exactly in the 'edit for readability' mode. Call it traveler's impatience.
The volunteering was a mixed bag, though not a totally unexpected one. We were severely limited in what we could do by a number of factors, common in any Third World humanitarian work, but still somewhat frustrating when you're grappling with them head-on. We planted some seedlings, reworked the nursery and did maintenance on the facilities, but in the end I must admit that the majority of our time in San Augustin was not spent working by quite a large proportion. I could outline all the details, but it would be long, tedious and predictable as it stems from common problems with volunteer agencies and aid groups. What do you do when the weather patterns and tidal season prevents you from accessing the area that needs the most attention? When corruption and inefficiency, and lack of accountability make the local government more of a hindrance than a partner? When the volunteer agency that brought you here is limited by lack of resources and manpower? When the local population suspects volunteers of being treasure hunters or CIA and regard your attempts to provide education with ambivalence or derision? When the accumulation of factors pressing against your success stifles your motivation and enthusiasm? These are all systemic problems with deep roots that are simply beyond the scope of a six week 'volun-teer'.
So was it a waste of money and time? Absolutely not.
I definitely learned from the experience, and anything that results in knowledge and wisdom is an end-in-itself (sounds cheesy, doesn't it?). Actually interacting with an organization and a community has clarified and sharped my perceptions of Third World aid organizations. Illusions have been dispelled, but at the same time my conviction that help is necissary (or at least has a purpose) has been deepened. For though what we did was small, it was cetainly more than anybody else was doing, and little is better than none. There is alot out there that needs to be done, alot of assistance and education that can help these people that are hanging by a thread on the fringes of the global economy, but it requires real time and real committment from people who are willing to sacrifice and work at something that may have very small effort-to-payoff ratios. Maybe one day I'll be one of those people - I like to hope I have the capacity for that kind of integrity and conviction - so few people do, and the modern world definitely is stacked against the pursuit of selflessness.
And what a wonderful experience living with a local family was. In retrospect, while we went for environmental volunteering, the trip's real value was most pronounced as a cultural exchange, actually interacting with people of a different culture and lifestyle, feeling the rhythm of their daily lives in contrast with my own, seeing what they value and cherish. And I was also surprised with how much of a personal dynamic there was, of learning and responding to the different personalities of the family and neighbors, seeing the interactions and relationships of a people whose community- and family-lives operate on a much more intimate level of immersion. Americans cherish the personal sphere, our realms of space and media which allow us to go about our days very much without having to allow for, or even take notice of, those around us, whereas the people of San Augustin experienced everything in a communal sense - the concept of privacy is virtually non-existent, and while this can be stifling at times (especially for a Westerner), it also creates a feeling of being and place that cannot be discounted. Towards the end of our stay, especially the last two weeks, the family and neighborhood became used to our presence and learned our personalities and started to respond to us in a very warm and inclusive manner. Even in that short time there was a sense that you occupied a definite space within the larger sphere, and while that space was distinctly yours it was very much defined by it's relation to others - everyone plays their own part, so-to-speak, and you become more than a visitor but a part of these peoples' lives. They recognize you on the street and make jokes based on what they know about you and your personality, very much taking into account what your sensibilities are and how they feel towards you. The family was all this on an even more intense level, as there were nine people living in the space of my living room, with the general common room being maybe half the size of a bedroom, and the added presence of neighbors and relatives coming and going constantly - there are people in very intimate proximity all the time, and while it took some time for everyone to grow accustomed to each other, the level of warmth once closeness was established was amazing, even heartwarming (to borrow the worst cliche possible). Needless-to-say, I was quite sad to leave when the time came, and I will sorely miss Eston, Endai, Luke, Ton-Ton, Shayne, Maeve, Scott, and all the neighbors - six weeks was not nearly enough with such beautiful people.
As a final thought, I wanted to say how glad I was to have chosen the Philippines. It's definitely not a glamorous destination, and I think that's what has appealed to me - it's about as rough around the edges as it comes, quirky and ineffecient and disorganized and laid-back and hospitable and degraded and beautiful all at once. It's not quite Western, not quite Asian, Catholic with a tribal flair, endemically corrupt and overwhelmingly generous, with no classical tradition and a rich interpersonal cultural sentiment - the feeling of a people wheeling from the complexities of the modern age and hobbled with the injustices of colonialism but stubbornly and definatly holding to their dispositions of humor, warmth, tradition, and closeness at all costs and through all hardship - a frustrating, fascinating, and emmiently endearing people.
Alright, I've probably talked your ears off enough. Hope your eyes didn't melt staring at the screen. Until next time, stay safe, keep the faith, and take it easy.

Advertisement



7th April 2008

sounds interesting

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb