Bangkok - Authaya - Kanchanaburi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 30th 2008
Published: February 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bangkok (2001 - 2012)

During 11 years (2001 - 2012) I made 9 trips to Thailand. I often spent a day or two in Bangkok and then I had to move on to other countries or cities. My favorite sites in Bangkok are the Grand Palace, some temples, Khao San road, Chao Praya river etc. I also took a train to Chiang Mai from the railway station near Don Muang airport, and traveled in a night bus from Morchit Bus Station to Sukhothai.

My two visits to the Grand Palace were in April 2001 and June 2008, ie it took me 7 years to go back to this place. On both visits I wore Vietnamese traditional dress Áo Dài and both locals and foreigners at the site loved it so much that they asked me to take photos with them. I was fortunate to see the marching of the guards at the Palace. It was hot and humid and I wish there would be more trees inside the Palace.

The Grand Palace complex was established in 1782. It seems a must-go place for every tourist in Bangkok, so there are too many tourists at the Grand Palace. I
The Grand Palace in BangkokThe Grand Palace in BangkokThe Grand Palace in Bangkok

The guards are marching at 10am.
prefer peaceful atmosphere in Sukhothai where I saw only a few tourists at Sukhothai Historical Park.

Authaya (January 2006)

After leaving India in late January 2006, I flew to Bangkok on the way back home in Hanoi. I decided to stay in Bangkok for a few days. My purpose on this visit was to visit Authaya and Kanchanaburi. I booked a one day tour to Ayuthaya through an agent on Khao San road (500 baht for the tour). At 7:30am, a mini bus came to my hotel and picked me up. There were about 10 tourists in the mini bus and a Thai tour guide, but in fact, he was also the guide for two more mini buses which were on the same tour.

Authaya is located about 86 km north of Bangkok. It was the capital of Siam from 1350 till 1767, when Burma conquered the city. 33 kings of Siam reigned here. There were 3 periods: Authaya A (1350-1488), Authaya B (1488-1630) and Authaya C (1630-1767). At present, Authaya ruins are a UNESCO world heritage site.

There are many old wats (temple-monasteries) and the most impressive part at Authaya may be the Buddha face which was buried in the roots of a tree. In the guide book of our Thai guide, it was guessed that when fighting between Siam and Burma, some Buddha statue may have had its head fallen off into the roots. Over the time the Buddha head has been covered by the roots.

We were back in Bangkok at 4:00pm. Authaya is an interesting place to visit. Many brick towers there are still preserved, but most of the buildings are just ruins.

The Death Railway in Kanchanaburi (February 2006)

In February 2006, after visiting Authaya, I still had one more day in Bangkok. I decided to book a tour to Kanchanaburi. I used to hear about the Death Railway and the war cemetery in that province and planned to see them for a long time. A one day tour to Kanchanaburi cost 500 baht (same as the tour to Authaya) and it was one of the interesting tours I've done in Thailand.

At 8:00am, a van from the travel company came to pick me up at my hotel. Our tour guide was a Thai girl. The first place we visited was the Kanchanaburi war cemetery. Kanchanaburi is
Áo Dài at the Grand Palace in BangkokÁo Dài at the Grand Palace in BangkokÁo Dài at the Grand Palace in Bangkok

I am wearing a blue Áo Dài (Vietnamese traditional dress).
a town, which is located close to Thailand - Myanmar border, approx 130km west of Bangkok. Walking on the green grass at the peaceful park, I read the words carved on the gravestones. There are the name, age, nationality and date of death of the western prisoners of war (POWs), as well as a saying which emphasizes the meaning of life. Those POWs were still too young, some only 23 years old. At the entrance of the cemetery, there is a memorial plaque "1939-1945 These soldiers died serving their country and the cause of Freedom."

We then went to Jeath Museum. Some artifacts are still preserved, for example, a locomotive, a motorbike made in Japan, some models of the hard living and working conditions of the western POWs etc.

I left the museum and walked toward the bridge over the river Kwai. Our tour guide said that it was not the original bridge, but the wooden one which spanned the Mae Klong River (renamed Kwai Yai River in 1960). The bridge is located 359 km south of Thanbyuzayat (Myanmar) and 5km north of Kanchanaburi (Thailand), began to build in October 1942, using POW labor. The wooden bridge was completed in February 1943, and the steel bridge in April 1943. Both bridges wee subjected to numerous attacks by Allied aircraft during the period December 1944 to June 1945. POW labor was used to repair the wooden bridge on each occasion.

When walking on the bridge, I had to avoid the people from the opposite direction. I had to be careful, otherwise I would fall off into the river through the spaces on the bridge. Standing in the middle of the bridge, I enjoyed a great view of the houses and gardens by the river. I didn't have enough time to walk to the end of the bridge, as I had to return to the museum at 11:00am to meet with our guide and other tourists for the next destination. There I met a Thai driver, who also came to Authaya with me some days before. He was very happy to see me again there and asked me why I didn't wear an Áo Dài and Thai dress (same as on the tour to Authaya) but jeans. I explained that I couldn't wear high heel sandals to walk on the railway, so jeans and sport shoes would be a suitable choice. Later he presented me 3 postcards of Authaya and the bridge over the river Kwai.

We then traveled a long way, passing by the empty fields, until we arrived at a train station. This may be the original railway that was built in the 40s of the last century (during the WWII). It was called "the Death Railway", which was built by the Japanese army in their plan to connect Bangkok with Yangon, so that they could strengthen their power from Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand to Myanmar, and ready for an attack to India. The Thai - Burma railway line is 415km long. It was completed after only 16 months (Sep 42 - Dec 43) instead of 5 years as in the initial plan. About 60,000 Asian laborers as well as 61,000 prisoners of war took part in the construction work. Many were dead because of the torture, accidents, diseases or exhaustion during construction of this railway line.

I bought a ticket (50 baht) and got into the train when it arrived at our station. There were many school boys wearing uniform in my wagon. We passed by the green fields, and the most interesting part of
Brown Ao Dai at Authaya Brown Ao Dai at Authaya Brown Ao Dai at Authaya

Brown Ao Dai (Vietnamese tradititional dress) at Authaya ruins in February 2006.
the train ride was the section when the train slowed down and we heard the sound from the rail and the train horn. They made us feel like we were back in the 40s of the last century. The train ran along the river Kwai. On the right side, there were the mountain edges. I stood on the left side of the train, so I could view the river and mountains far away, but the kids also wanted to see them through the windows. A Thai man sitting opposite to me asked the kids to lower their heads, so that I could take a photo. Nam Tok was my station, also the last station on the trip, so when the train stopped at other stations on the route, I still stayed at the same place.

When the kids and Thai men left, I was there alone with some other tourists. It was an absolutely relaxing moment, when I sat by the window and saw the mountain and river scenery as well as the rice fields, taking a deep breath of fresh air, with the wind and sun. All the concerns in my life had gone. It is one of the wonderful experiences when we could go to discover the new lands, learn from the experiences and realize that we should appreciate our Life.

Other blogs about my trips to Thailand:

My birthday in Sukhothai

Damnern Saduak Floating Market

Phuket and other islands

Bangkok & Di sản thế giới Authaya

Trong vòng 11 năm (từ 2001 đến 2012), tôi đã đến Thailand 9 lần. Thông thưởng tôi chỉ ở Bangkok từ 1-2 ngày, sau đó thì tôi đi tiếp sang các nước khác. Những điểm đến yêu thích của tôi ở Bangkok là Cung điện Hoàng gia, các ngôi chùa, sông Chao Praya v.v. Có lần tôi đi bằng tàu hỏa từ nhà ga xe lửa gần sân bay Don Muang lên Chiang Mai và lần khác thì tôi đi bằng xe buýt qua đêm từ bến xe phía bắc tên là Morchit đến Sukhothai.

Các bức ảnh trong blog này được chụp tại Cung điện Hoàng gia tại Bangkok (tháng 6 năm 2008) và khu di sản thế giới Authaya (tháng 1 năm 2006).

Nằm cách Bangkok 86km về hướng bắc, những phế tích của đền đài tại Authaya vào thế kỷ 16 - 18 minh chứng cho một giai đoạn phát triển phồn thịnh nhất trong lịch sử Thailand. Authaya là thủ đô của Thailand từ năm 1350 và 33 vị Vua của các triều đại Siêm trị vì tại đây cho đến khi kinh thành bị người Miến Điện xâm chiếm vào năm 1767. Hiện nay, các phế tích đền đài của Authaya là Di sản thế giới.

Một trong những nơi thăm quan của Authaya là khu phế tích bằng gạch gồm các đền tháp rải rác trên một diện tích rộng lớn, một tượng Phật nằm được phủ một tấm vải màu vàng và ấn tượng nhất là một khuôn mặt Phật trong đám rễ cây. Trong sách hướng dẫn du lịch thì nói là có thể do lúc đánh nhau với người Miến Điện, đầu tượng Phật rơi ra và lọt vào đây, rồi cùng thời gian, đám rễ cây bao bọc xung quanh. Nhưng cho đến giờ thì người ta vẫn chưa thực sự lý giải được điều đó.

Một ngày ở Kanchanaburi - tháng 2/2006

Ngày cuối cùng ở Thailand sau chuyến đi Ấn Độ, tôi book tour một ngày giá 500 baht đi thăm một
The Grand PalaceThe Grand PalaceThe Grand Palace

The locals are burning incense sticks. There are the offerings at this area as well.
di tích lịch sử quan trọng mà tôi đã nghe thấy và đọc nhiều lần cũng như đã lên kế hoạch đến thăm từ lâu. Đó là Kanchanaburi, một thị trấn nhỏ gần biên giới Thailand - Myanmar, cách Bangkok khoảng 130km về hướng Tây. Từ đây rất gần một loạt các địa danh nổi tiếng trong chiến tranh thế giới lần thứ II, khi phát xít Nhật sử dụng các tù binh chiến tranh xây dựng con đường sắt tử thần nối liến Thailand và Myanmar.

Nơi dừng chân đầu tiên trong hành trình là Nghĩa trang chiến tranh Kanchanaburi. Trên thảm cỏ xanh như một công viên là những nấm mồ xếp hàng ngang dọc thẳng tắp có trồng hoa, phía cuối là một cây thánh giá khổng lồ. Trên mỗi ngôi mộ có một tấm bia ghi rõ tên, tuổi, quốc tịch và ngày mất của từng người cùng một câu trích dẫn nào đó mang đậm ý nghĩa của cuộc sống. Đây là những tù binh chiến tranh mang quốc tịch phương Tây đã ngã xuống trên mảnh đất này. Họ còn quá trẻ, có người mới chỉ có 23 tuổi. Trên tấm biển của Nghĩa trang, tôi đọc dòng chữ “Năm 1939 - 1945, những người lính này đã hy sinh vì Tự do cho đất nước của mình” (1939 - 1945 These soldiers died serving their country and the cause of Freedom).

Tiếp theo, chúng tôi đến thăm Viện bảo tàng Jeath Museum và Cầu sông Kwai. Khi nhìn thấy chiếc cầu từ xa, cô hướng dẫn viên người Thái giải thích đây không phải là cây cầu gốc ban đầu. Trên đường vào Viện bảo tàng Jeath Museum có trưng bày một đoàn tàu treo cờ Nhật và chữ “Japan”. Hình ảnh đầu tiên là những người phương Tây bằng sáp đang làm việc trên đường ray, còn một hình sáp là lính Nhật bồng súng đứng ở một đầu để giám sát, đầu bên kia của đường sắt là sông Kwai với hai cái chòi bằng tre. Xung quanh đó cũng đặt nhiều vỏ bom. Tôi đi về hướng những toa xe và nhìn thấy hình người bằng sáp bên trong đó như một nhà tù với điều kiên sống khổ cực. Dọc theo gian phòng trưng bày các loại ô tô, xe mô tô của Nhật. Vào thời gian đó mà nước Nhật đã có những thứ vũ khí và phương tiện tối tân. Gian phòng cuối cùng là hình ảnh mô phỏng những tù binh chiến tranh người phương Tây trên dòng sông với máu me trên người trông thật thảm thương.

Ra khỏi Viện bảo tàng, tôi đi về hướng cầu đường sắt bắc qua sông Kwai. Theo tư liệu thì Cầu sông Kwai vốn là một cây cầu gỗ, gồm 11 nhịp bắc qua sông Mae Klong và mãi sau này mới được đổi tên thành sông Kwai Yai. Cầu được dựng vào tháng 10 năm 1942 và hoàn tất vào tháng 2 năm 1943. Cầu bị hư hỏng hai lần vào tháng 1 và tháng 6 năm 1945 và tù binh được huy động đến đây để sửa chữa cầu vào các đợt này. Bộ phim “Cầu sông Kwai” do đạo diễn David Lean thực hiện năm 1957 đã góp phần đưa cầu sông Kwai lên bản đồ thế giới.

Đi dọc theo đường sắt trên cầu, vừa đi tôi vừa phải tránh dòng người đi ngược lại, vì nếu trượt chân rơi xuống khe hở trên cầu là tôi sẽ bị rơi xuống nước. Đứng từ chính giữa cầu nhìn sang bên phải thấy nhà hàng nổi, dọc theo bờ sông là nhà cửa và vườn tược trù phú. Nhìn đồng hồ thấy không còn nhiều thời gian, tôi quyết định không đi hết cây cầu sang bờ bên kia mà quay trở lại nơi xuất phát và ra nơi xe ô tô đỗ. Chúng tôi đi khá xa, qua những vùng hoang sơ không thấy bóng người sinh sống, cuối cùng thì dừng lại ở một nhà ga xe lửa. Đây chính là con đường sắt chính gốc được xây từ những năm 40 của thế kỷ trước. Người ta gọi nó là “Death Railway”, con đường sắt tử thần dài 415km (gồm 263km trên lãnh thổ Thailand và 152km trên lãnh thổ Myanmar) do quân đội Nhật lên kế hoạch thực hiện để nối liền Bangkok với Rangoon và nhờ đó nối thông sức mạnh quân sự của Nhật từ Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand đến Myanmar, chuẩn bị cho cuộc tấn công Ấn Độ. Kế hoạch xây dựng của các kỹ sư Nhật lúc đó là 5 năm, nhưng cuối cùng được hoàn tất chỉ trong vòng 16 tháng (chính thức khởi công vào ngày 16/9/1942 và hoàn thành vào ngày 25/12/1943) với sự tham gia của khoảng 61.000 tù binh chiến tranh và khoảng 200.000 lao công người Châu Á. Đã có khoảng 16.000 tù binh chiến tranh và 100.000 lao công bỏ mạng vì kiệt sức, bệnh tật, tai nạn hay bị đánh đập trong quá trình thi công tuyến đường sắt này.

Trên tàu đông nghịt người, toàn trẻ con mà toàn là con trai, tất cả mặc đồng phục học sinh. Hôm nay có lẽ nhà trường cho các em đi thăm quan rồi về viết cảm tưởng. Tàu chuyển bánh, đi qua những cánh đồng cỏ và thú vị nhất là đoạn đường khi tàu chạy chậm lại. Tiếng rít từ đường ray và tiếng còi hú làm chúng tôi có cảm giác mình đang quay lại những năm 40 của thế kỷ trước. Bên trái tàu là sông Kwai và những dãy núi nhấp nhô. Bên phải tàu là vách núi đá dựng đứng. Một đoạn đường nữa cũng rất đẹp với phong cảnh núi non và sông nước, tiếp theo là những cánh đồng trù phú, gió thổi lồng lộng và nắng tràn trề. Trên vé tàu của tôi ghi “Nam Tok”, có nghĩa là ga cuối cùng của hành trình. Buổi chiều, chúng tôi tới thăm thác nước Saiyok - Noi. Trên đường quay về Bangkok, anh lái xe cho tôi mấy tấm bưu ảnh. Trong cuốn sách anh để trên xe ô tô viết về Cầu sông Kwai có giới thiệu chi tiết lý do xây dựng con đường sắt tử thần, bản đồ tuyến đường, có cả hình ảnh Cầu sông Kwai chụp ngày xưa và lúc bị ném bom.

Các bài viết khác về Thailand:

My birthday in Sukhothai

Damnern Saduak Floating Market

Phuket and other islands


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 36


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb