One night in Bangkok...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 10th 2007
Published: July 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

July 10-12

Ok, 3 nights in Bangkok and a very early bus to Cambodia on Friday the 13th.... We're staying in backpacker central near the famous Khao San Road on a little street called Rumbutri - took a few days to see some sights - the royal palace, Jim Thompson's house, Erawan shrine (which is right next to Grand hyatt Bangkok near Siam Square and miles of gigantic shopping malls). Got a thai massage and then met Jen for a facial - unfortunately, the next day she had an allergic reaction to the 17,000 products they used and her faced puffed up like a balloon! Met some friendly travelers on Khao San Road, entertained by the touts and magicians - apparently it's cleaned up a bit in the recent years. I haven't been to one of the infamous ping pong shows - but there are plenty of opportunities. I think I'll have to pass on that one. It is kind of sad, but that kind of tourism is still a major draw to Bangkok for a lot of people.

pix later...


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Erawan ShrineErawan Shrine
Erawan Shrine

Surrounded by Grand Hyatt Erawan and the Burbury store...
Detail of WallDetail of Wall
Detail of Wall

Grand Palace
Mr. ThailandMr. Thailand
Mr. Thailand

Decked out for hte night on Khao San Road
MmmmmmmmmmmMmmmmmmmmmm
Mmmmmmmmmmm

Street vendor on Th Rambutri selling tasty fried crickets, grubs, and what appear to be cockroaches.
CowboyCowboy
Cowboy

Performing hilarious magic tricks for the farang on Khao San
Gold Buddha at Wat TraimitGold Buddha at Wat Traimit
Gold Buddha at Wat Traimit

This 5.5 ton gold buddha had previously been covered in stucco probably during Burma's many invasions, but when they moved it they discovered the treasure underneath.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0724s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb