Shopping, bathing elephants and Thai massages!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 25th 2005
Published: September 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Michael and IMichael and IMichael and I

The first tuktuk had to be documented!!
I was quite fortunate to meet Michael from Germany in the bus line up from Bankok airport. Sometimes arriving in a new city can be a confusing start, so it was a relief to traipse the areas near KoSan Road looking for accomodation with somebody elses' input as well. The last thing I expected was to share a room with him, but when a twin works out cheaper than a single-why not?


We started the next day jumping on board a ferry up the Chao Phraya River towards ChinaTown. Walking into the maze of market traders was a loud and smelly experience that for some strange reason is a feature within Bankok. Why do we love it so? It's certainly not home and that's a big plus, but I suppose it's just a shopping haven. Yes, I loved it. Luckily my bag isn't big enough for all the potential gifts! The choice of wallets, t-shirts, dried shrimp and cooked pigs stomachs are endless. We continued to walk and catch a glimpse of the many temples. So so different to those in Japan! We met a chap that was extremely proud to show us his chicken eating fish. Glad I
Street FacialsStreet FacialsStreet Facials

I certainly enjoy a facial from time to time, although I think I might decline these street versions! The plucking looked painful!
didn't try to feed that one!! We then took a coke break followed by jumping into a tuktuk after some hard negotiating. Figuring the Lonely Planets' suggested restaurant in the area must have shut down, we ventured back to our area for a calm bite to eat before calling it a day. And a good first day it was.


I spent the next couple of days doing nothing much more than laundry, internet time, sleep and a bit of itinerary planning. I have 12 weeks in Asia, and I don't REALLY want to rush...but there's always a lot to see! My first day trip out of Bankok was to Ayuthaya. It had been the capital of Thailand many years ago and the remaining temples certainly proove it had been the glory of the land. The only thing that slightly jarred the start of the day for me was being kicked by a horse. Not really something I had been expecting to happen as I had just been walking by. It could only happen to me. I like to think that the bruise on my arm (as I shielded my face) makes me look a little tough though! Near the end of the day after seeing several different sites within the area, I explored the grounds of Bang Pa-In Palace. Floating in the middle of a turtle and fish infested pond, the ornately coloured shrine featuring golden streaks for the visiting royalty was a change to the rest of the temples seen in the day. The grounds were immaculate and their gardeners tending to every available space. The only scary sight walking the grounds was me. As I hadn't put enough thought into what I should be wearing in a temple, (chose a sleeveless top) I was given a 'classy' shirt to wear. I felt like I was the master of the tacky tourist look for the day. It really isn't a look I would go for these days, but I do feel my Canadian roots might pop up a picture with similar choice of clothing....but I was younger then and I've learned not to portray a Canadian lumberjack where ever I go.


As we drove around the different temples and buddas within the area, I had a chance to meet Americans Lisa, Jessica and Kirsty. How relieved was I to meet some gals to hang around
AyuthayaAyuthayaAyuthaya

See the horse on the edge of the photo? BEWARE!!!
with for awhile! Drinks and dinner were booked in for later that night. The waiters at the restaurant were extremely entertaining, even though they weren't actually trying to be! Lady boys rule the streets here. Every time you walk by it's a double take-can somebody be that beautiful or so outrageously feminine? After walking around the crazy KoSan Road, could anything be better than a foot massage? Little did I know how many massages that would spark in the days to come!!


The next day started with heading back towards the river with the girls to catch a longtail boat through the canals. It felt as though we were in a different city which was a nice change. A shame I wasn't quick enough with my camera to catch the huge lizard sitting on the shore line. We had a chance to laugh with the swimming kids, something I was glad NOT to be doing, regardless of the heat. When we were back on land, we strolled over to What Pho, known mostly for it reclining Budda and the stone statues within the grounds. When we decided to endure another massage, we were a bit overwhelmed by the
Sleeping BuddaSleeping BuddaSleeping Budda

Even has a blanket....
crowds of kids that swarmed us on our way out. Wanting to know our names, where we were from and our favourite colour, it was a laugh to be helping out with their school projects. Then the photos and gifts followed so we were expecially pleased!


I had heard about the weekend market, so I was pleased to be making my way there with the girls. Isn't it funny how when travelling you can meet people that just fall into the same routine of touring the sights with you? I was glad to meet Jess and Kristen particularily as they seem to take as many photos as I do-even learned a few crazy poses from these crazy girls! And then there was the shopping!! The market seems to cover many many miles and it 's so so easy to get lost in the maze. I never saw the snake section thankfully. And I didn't get lost enough to not find a few special shops; I actually managed to buy an entire dinner set. Thankfully it's lightweight, (wood) but adding to the pile of purchases to send home hadn't been my intention. Have I said thanks for being the storage facility for this trip mom? I might be needing my room back with the amount of posted packages coming in! Just remember, I will distribute gifts at the END of the trip okay? One thing that I never expected to be doing whilst in Bankok was to be roaming the aisles of Tesco (big supermarket) with awe. Seeing the product range and prices made me salivate. How ridilulous it was when I even tried on a couple of bras-as if I could find something to fit me here! My basket filled with some deoderant, mouthwash and a few other bits and bobs. I was thankful for the taxi ride back to the hotel as I could barely walk with the amount of bags that I had aquired throughout the day!!


My next excursion began early as I joined a minibus towards the Floating Market. There are posters of this market everywhere and I had been warned that it might not be as colourful as the publicized shot from the 80's. So after the many bus transfers and stopping for curio shops setup for us tourists, it was a relief to be stepping into a boat en route
Coins in CupsCoins in CupsCoins in Cups

Funny how you often see a dog or cat tucked up in the background!!
to the market. I transferred to yet another boat and had a chance to bargain with a lady floating by over the mango I was wanting for breakfast. She had such a colourful assortment of fruits on her boat, that I ended up being a bit of a sucker and buying some mangosteens, pineapple and bananas as well! There were of course heaves of tourists everywhere, but it just added to the Thai market sellers loud methods of attracting our attention to their goods. It was a great start to a very long day.


The next stop was to the River Koi Bridge, by which time I had met Sally so I had a chance to talk to somebody! The bridge itself was nothing spectacular, but it's history is significant for anybody understanding the war. We looked around the museum and learned of the atrocities the Japanese had inflicted on so many lives in this area. We also saw a cemetary commemorating so many foreign lives. Not a place I had expected to be touring, but it was immaculatly kept and the Thai's seemed quite proud of the honour they had bestowed. After a quick late lunch we
Retail DisplayRetail DisplayRetail Display

Must give 10/10 for this one! Shame I don't know what it all is but it's appreciated anyway!
were thankful to be heading to the final destination of the day-the elephant farm where we would be staying for the next 2 nights. I hadn't realized that we would still be travelling for a couple of hours, although the train transport was a nice change. The heavens had opened up and the rain was coming down in buckets so I was glad not to be touring through the park still! The train journey itself had some great sights along the way.


When we finally arrived at the end of the line, we stepped into the darkness surrounded by dripping trees. Expecting to see somebody waving welcome to us, we were both a little concerned to find that nobody was there. We had also both failed to collect more details about our accomodation (as in the phone number or where it was!) Hhhhhhmmmm, are we sleeping at the station? This became our first introduction to Thai time as a truck finally rolled up and we clambered in.


The next morning I had chosen to join the crew for bathing the elephants in the river. I 'gracefully' clambered on top of the elephant and we began the walk. Now, I would have thought the extra padding I have on my thighs would have helped me, but the uncomfort could only be seen as a good and needed workout!! And then as my butt seemed to be situated directly over the elephants shoulder blades, I experienced a Thai massage elephant style. Regardless of the uncomfort in the beginning, I WAS ON AN ELEPHANT! As we approached the water he was very careful in wear he placed his feet. This meant that I felt like I might tumble off, but managed to cling onto the top of his skull for dearlife! Once in the water I received a scrub brush and was put to work, whilst still sitting on top. My elephant dunked his entire head a few times, so this meant a rollercoaster ride like no other!! When I eventually fell into the water I was so unsure where to place my hands and feet as I completely surrounded my trunks and toes. Big toes! I triumphed as did the others in the group and the morning is certainly one I shall never forget. I think my Thai guide might be saying the same as his frequent cleavage glances brought on a marriage proposal, of sorts. Returning back to camp, we had a quick breakfast and then set off for a seated walk on top of the elephants. Very civilized and pleasant. Nothing like the bathing experience though!!


The next adventure was described as a rafting experience. I soon learned this wasn't quite the white water I was expecting, although I have to admit it was a very enjoyable journey. We floated two rafts downriver, and more often than not the rafts began to sink or simply looked rather lobsided. A relief that we were all able to enjoy floating along singing national anthems and opera to those that stayed on board!


The next stop was to the Hellfire Pass Memorial. An exceptional museum describing how the allied prisoners were forced to build the Burma railway. We walked along the route seeing a few remnants along the way. It became a rather sombre mood for all of us. My thoughts immediatly went to the time that my grandfather spent in Burma, although not in this area. There were recent memorials from some Australians mentioning their missing father and grandfather. Another very significant area in
MonksMonksMonks

So now you needn't wonder how they get such aperfect shave!
understanding history.


The day seemed to be packed with so many adventures, I was surprised to learn we were going to spend an hour or so at a waterfall. Nice to swim around again and practise my supermodel poses in the cascading water. One of the points on this adventure that came up time and time again with everybody, is how the hell do the tour leaders manage? We were dropped off and transferred to so many different vehicles it seemed as though it would be a huge disaster, but remembering that everything goes by Thai time (up to an hour late) we somehow always managed to get to and from our destinations. Should transfer some of them to a London cab.


The next day was scheduled to see another waterfall, although it had many levels and required a bit of hiking. It was nice to get the heart beat up a bit, and knowing there would be a pool to jump in kept us going. What I didn't realize was that the sky blue water would also be inhabited by hundreds of fish, and I don't mean little ones!! We learned that if you kept
Headless WondersHeadless WondersHeadless Wonders

What happened to their heads?
moving fast enough they wouldn't be able to nip at you quite as easily. How ridiculous is it to be scared of a few fish, but I suppose it's just the unknown! I might taste really good and be followed by a school of fish?! Just my luck...


The final stop for the day was a trip to the tiger sanctuary managed by monks. I had in my mind that I might see tigers roaming in a huge area, and this is certainly in the proposed plans for the sanctuary. In the meantime, tourists are led to the tigers one at a time. Workers and monks hover very close and take photos for you. I asked if I could be escorted to the pool at the end, to capture Tiger and his bath. I was thrilled to be led in and snapped away over and over with my camera. During a moment to catch my breath I cought eye contact with a tiger fairly close to me, and he jumped rather fast and started walking my way. Yes, that's when I lost it and hid behind my guide who quickly escorted me out. Apparently the tigers get annoyed
The Tacky TouristThe Tacky TouristThe Tacky Tourist

This is my secret twin that's been travelling with me 'cuz I wouldn't allow myself to carry off this look, even if only for an hour or so!!
with too many photos. Ooooooooooopppps!!


When I finally made it back to Bankok, I was pleased to collapse in my hotel off of Khao San Road. I hadn't missed the madness of this area, and I was eager to soon be leaving. I collected my visas, and proceeded with a few domestic chores of life on the road. I met a few people over dinner and had a few late night talks over beers. It's always interesting learning of other people's stories. Travelling for 2 years, stopped off to work in the UK for a few months. Or the Irish chap that got caught up in the floods in Northern Thailand (Pai) and lost all his luggage. The journalist moving back to the UK and struggling to get a hold of his lovelife. They're all interesting people that I might not have met in my life before. So what a relief I still have a while to go!!


I'm now off for a week on the beach in Ko Chang as it's time for a real holiday within these travels! From there I will have 2 weeks to explore the trials and tribulations of Cambodia.
Budda BarbiesBudda BarbiesBudda Barbies

Another surprise we found at one of the shrines!!













Additional photos below
Photos: 69, Displayed: 32


Advertisement

Statue PosesStatue Poses
Statue Poses

The first of many ridiculous poses
Corner Canal HouseCorner Canal House
Corner Canal House

I wonder if a corner canal house is seen as a preoperty with space potential or traffic build ups! Funny to have a sign at window eye level.
Khao San Road dinner?Khao San Road dinner?
Khao San Road dinner?

Definitly passsed on these culinary experiences
The foot massageThe foot massage
The foot massage

Aaaaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhh, a great start to Thailand. Although, I can never stop laughing as my feet are too ticklish!
Budda FootBudda Foot
Budda Foot

This is the pearl inlay of the Recling Buddas foot at What Pho


1st September 2005

thai experiences
Fiona--love the elephant bathing, but don't go petting any more "pussycats" "cause we want you back in one piece. Have fun! Love from us back here.
2nd September 2005

Nice photo's Fi and great scripture to boot. Looks like you're having a fantastic time. Good for you girl, enjoy it.
2nd September 2005

amazing FIONA & The Tiger
Fiona dear, it's very impressive!! You've seen so much wonders in Thailand. I regret not joining you on the 3rd day, but i can't help it, you know my migraine!! Well, i guess sooner or later you could start writing your own book, just don't forget to have a spare copy for me...i would really love reading your adventures!!! Enjoy girl!!
3rd September 2005

Thai experiences
Love the elephant baths and trek-What fun. Not so sure about the tigers though. As for the massages,I would love to put in an order for a daily massage-head to toes. Another SuperBlog
5th September 2005

just remember who taught you the superposes! wishi was back in bangkok with ya, catch ya in mexico!
8th September 2005

Wow...
Hey Fiona!! Yeah, that's what American girls are for: to teach ya fabulous poses for the camera!! Fabulous write-up!! I was cracking up over the elephants...Amazing pics of the tigers!! Sounds like you had a fab time after we parted ways--we shoulda done a trip like that--it sounds like soo much fun!! Ahhh...happy memories from BKK and Khao San!!

Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 27; qc: 141; dbt: 0.2656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb