Taiwan 09 - Kenting


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan
May 2nd 2009
Published: May 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

The southern part of Taiwan seemed like a less travelled part of TW for tourists. The film Cape No. 7 sure had drawn spotlight to it. Ha, but we didn't visit the filming sites.

The key mode of transport from Hualien to Kenting was via train which would bring us to Fangliao station where we would catch a bus to Kenting. Did sound a little complicated. It took a little effort in securing suitable train tickets too. Tks to the TW tourism counters in Taipei for suggesting alternative train routes instead of sticking to direct train from Hualien to Fangliao.

The train that we rode on travelled along the east coast of TW. Hence, those seated on the left side of the carriage would get pretty nice views of the sea. Along the way, we passed time by anticipating the Chi Shang ’rã bento which was highly recommended by the Hualien driver for its good quality rice. At the Chi Shang ’rãstation, I was waiting for ah-mahs to come onto the train to sell bentos. I was disappointed in the end as I didn't see anyone selling it. Then, I heard learnt from RY & ZH that one had to rush onto train platform to purchase the bento. There were passengers all ready to alight the train before it pulled up at the station. This showed how popular it was. RY, consoling, that it didn't look that great though.

Due to limited time there we had visited the following places:
(a) Chuan Fan Shi. A natural choice to visit since it was just across the road from where we put up for the night. Well, this rock, as I have read, it was actually a coral reef. The sun was starting to set at the time we were there. Though there was a crowd of pro-photographers there, they weren't interested in the sunset (which I tot will be typical photography focus). Instead, they seemed more focused on what's happening in the waters, perhaps the waves splashing on the rock.
(b) Long Pan for star gazing. Ain't star-gazing hobbyists yet still could enjoy the twinkling jewels in the clear sky.
(c) Chu Huo. Natural site where gas from the ground that ignites fire. There was like a caretaker who doubled-up as a vendor for sweet potatoes cooked by the fire. Buy boxes of these and he will be free guide of the site.
(d) National Museum of Marine Biology & Aquarium. It was delightful to visit an aquarium once again (last visit to one being eons ago). It was great that it had eng description of items on showcase. Otherwise, it would have been just sight-seeing for me (reading chinese characters aint my forte).

Actually for this leg of the trip, the sights did not amaze me as much as the cab drivers. First, there was the first driver, who was like god-send to help those who were left clueless on the freeway-lookalike road and trying to figure where their lodging is. Second driver shared some "uncensored" stories of his past and his friends openly. Thinking back, was that tantamount to sexual harrassment... hmm.. Third, was private taxi driver who seemed to adamant in making us his passengers of the day. He had tried to sell us his service persistently. Really hard sell and it became creepier when he stalked us.











Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0699s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb