Temple tour day


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Tainan
March 14th 2011
Published: November 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ronald taking photosRonald taking photosRonald taking photos

at the flower garden at the Temple of the Five Concubines
Our lovely hosts let us borrow their bikes today! I have to say, I've really liked this city and it seems absolutely perfect to bike around in – it's not too big and there aren’t too many hills. There are lots of parks and tons of scooters and a decent amount of bikes so you can just sort of blend in.

Anyways, we started off at the café where we found the baguette (Pain Francais) – we’d eaten the baguette during dinner and still had the cheese, so we needed more bread. After eating there we headed south and got to the Chik Kon Temple. Then we rode on to the Shrine of the Five Concubines. Apparently 5 concubines of one of the kings all hung themselves together to maintain their honor when they were being invaded…or something like that. There’s not much to see there, it’s just a small park basically. There is a flower design in the corner and there is one main temple for the five concubines with their tomb behind it, and one smaller shrine for the concubines’ eunuchs. After this we were riding to the next temple when we stumbled across another Pain Francais! This one was a bit nicer and most of their products were not sweet, a big deal here. We bought two baguettes and one enormous piece of bread with cheese chunks in it to accompany dinner.

Jahua Temple/Monastery was closed so we rode back and picked up some wine along the way. Bárbara cooked dinner, I made another Chilean salad and played/learned on khanacademy.org, and we had some beer with one of their friends that dropped by while watching bad movies on tv. We leave tomorrow to go to Hualien!

Technical details
-Chikkon temple entrance fee: 50 NT

Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb