Background: In 1895, military defeat forced China to cede Taiwan to Japan. Taiwan reverted to Chinese control after World War II. Following the Communist victory on the mainland in 1949, 2 million Nationalists fled to Taiwan and established a government using the 1946 constitution drawn up for all of China. Over the next five decades, the ruling authorities gradually democratized and incorporated the native population within the governing structure. In 2000, Taiwan underwent its first peaceful transfer of power from the Nationalist to the Democratic Progressive Party. Throughout this period, the island prospered and became one of East Asia's economic "Tigers." The dominant political issues continue to be the relationship between Taiwan and China - specifically the question of eventual unification - as well as domestic political and economic reform.
Photos from Hualien
Blogs from Hualien
Latest Blogs from Hualien
- November 2nd 2013 Suao to Hualien
by Words: 110 Photos: 13
- November 1st 2013 Taiwan - 5 day tour - Day 5 + 6.3 Earthquake :)
by Words: 340 Photos: 30
- August 2nd 2013 Day #122: East Coast cycle path
by Words: 183 Photos: 6
- August 2nd 2013 Day #123: Taroko Gorge
by Words: 335 Photos: 5
- July 31st 2013 Day #121: Hualien
by Words: 176 Photos: 3
- April 1st 2013 Taiwan- Tantalisingly Beautiful
by Words: 813 Photos: 0
- February 10th 2013 Hikes, hot springs and Chinese New Year in Yuli
by Words: 1593 Photos: 77
- February 6th 2013 Gorn to a gorge and gorged on gorgeous gorub
by Words: 1299 Photos: 47
- December 19th 2012 In Search of Animism in Eastern Taiwan
by Words: 1594 Photos: 5
- October 24th 2012 On the Move....
by Words: 225 Photos: 90
- November 5th 2011 Biciklisticna odisejada po vzhodni obali
by Words: 591 Photos: 0
- November 3rd 2011 Na obisku na policiji
by Words: 1315 Photos: 0
- October 31st 2011 Hello Pacific!
by Words: 1097 Photos: 0
- October 15th 2011 Finally!
by Words: 41 Photos: 0
- October 11th 2011 Hualien and Taroko National Park
by Words: 1112 Photos: 14
- March 18th 2011 Finally!
by Words: 170 Photos: 12
- March 16th 2011 Ice cold!
by Words: 282 Photos: 1
- March 15th 2011 牛了B! Taiwan Part II: Scooters, Bizarro Hawaii and Mud Hot Springs
by Words: 890 Photos: 11
- March 15th 2011 Trainin’ it
by Words: 508 Photos: 1
- August 17th 2010 Taroko Gorge
by Words: 378 Photos: 12