Beautiful Formosa (Day 3)


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Chiayi » Alishan
December 12th 2005
Published: December 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

We left Taipei at 8.35am today on our way to Chiayi - 3 hours to the south by the express train. The amount of leg room was definitely wider than the Jetstar Asia plane that we took earlier.

10.55 am - The “train stewardess” started selling Bian Dan which was picked up from Taichung. It was delicious as we had a hurried lunch. The next station was Chiayi.

11.36 am - Chiayi and were immediately harassed by taxi touts who somehow knew that we were heading to Alisan. We had already anticipated the touting thanks to Lonely Planet.

We sought refuge from the Tourist Information Centre where the helpful lady volunteer pointed us the direction of the bus station to Alisan.

The wait continued until 1.10pm when the bus bounded to Alisan came by. From then, it was another 2.5 hours of traveling up the mountain range.

3.40pm - We finally reached Alisan after spending half a day of traveling from Taipei. By then, the temperature had dipped below 7 degrees at 2170m above sea level.

We checked into Gau Shan Qing Hotel and the room condition did not disappoint us. We loved the teakwood flooring which provided some warmth from the mountain cool air. The bus journey did tired us out though & the weather was simply too cold to engage in night activities. Dinner was a simple affair at a small food stall. It didn’t taste too bad either.

We had to wake up at 5.20am the next day to catch a glimpse of the rising sun over the mountains so we decided to head to bed early today in our comfortable beds.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



5th January 2011
Taipei Railway station

Great photos!
I met someone who is Chinese who writes for a food blog. This is nice also. Keep posting when you can. Thanks. ~ Jo
5th January 2011

Re: Great photos!
Thanks JoA for your compliments :)
16th April 2011
Taipei Railway station

Station still the same
The Chiayi train station still looks the same after I left many years ago.

Tot: 0.331s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 85; dbt: 0.2333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb