Dambulla visit


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province
January 30th 2014
Published: January 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

D6

Dambula



Got up this morning and went to my ablutions and was putting down the toilet seat when I saw a frog looking up at me. Dashed for my camera only to see it disappearing around the bend – drat. What is it living on? Good Sri Lankan breakfast of Hopper Noodles and curry etc this morning. Two refrained from eating due to Deli Belly, Pat and Ivan our guide. Who will be next? The morning ride was good with an overcast sky until we got to Sigirya and the elephant riders got a real dousing of heavy rain - this is the dry season – whilst we dashed into a local restaurant and had a fresh pineapple juice until the sky cleared. At 11am we decided there was no more rain left above and proceeded to the rock fortress, which is a massive rock 360 metres tall, upon which and around, there was a 5th century city with walled gardens and ancient frescoes on the cliff face. To get to the top you have to climb at least 1000 steps on slippery granite and iron plates but the view is well worth it. Following this I went to a museum to read all about the city and its occupants and highlights. Typical Indian/Sri Lankan efficiency was seen in full force. We had to go to a kiosk to buy our tickets, walk 200 m to another kiosk to have it stamped and then signed by two different people with another four booking down the ticket numbers issued. Half way up the rock face we had to show our tickets again and another little piece torn off by two men and a third piece torn off at the museum by two ladies this time. Eight people to do what could have been done by two. Back to the restaurant for lunch and then to the JC Village hotel to freshen up before going to the Rock Temple in Dambulla, which is next to the Golden Temple and the largest effigy of Buddha in the world. The Rock Temple is in five caves at the top of a few hundred steps and was occupied by monks as far back as 1,300 years ago until relatively recently. They are filled with maybe 100 replica Buddhas and frescoes and wall paintings back to the same period which were very impressive. Temple dress code must be observed of course, which consists of covered legs and no shoes. We watched the sunset from the cave mouth, which was very spectacular and fast, 10 minutes at most. Two tortoises have had to be rescued so far on the trip whilst they were trying to cross the busy roads. Yesterday we saw an injured Cevit crossing the road, but not having been so lucky as the shelled creatures. Kingfishers and Ibis are now commonplace so receive less attention now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.432s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb