Background: The Sinhalese arrived in Sri Lanka late in the 6th century B.C., probably from northern India. Buddhism was introduced beginning in about the mid-third century B.C., and a great civilization developed at the cities of Anuradhapura (kingdom from circa 200 B.C. to circa A.D. 1000) and Polonnaruwa (from about 1070 to 1200). In the 14th century, a south Indian dynasty seized power in the north and established a Tamil kingdom. Occupied by the Portuguese in the 16th century and by the Dutch in the 17th century, the island was ceded to the British in 1796, became a crown colony in 1802, and was united under British rule by 1815. As Ceylon, it became independent in 1948; its name was changed to Sri Lanka in 1972. Tensions between the Sinhalese majority and Tamil separatists erupted into war in 1983. Tens of thousands have died in an ethnic conflict that continues to fester. After two decades of fighting, the government and Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam formalized a cease-fire in February 2002, with Norway brokering peace negotiations.
Blogs from Negombo
Latest Blogs from Negombo
- December 7th 2013 Top 10 reasons to visit Sri Lanka
by Words: 971 Photos: 7
- December 4th 2013 The Beach Tour - Sri Lanka 2013 - Ancient Ruins, Long Bike Ride and Finish Line!
by Words: 1027 Photos: 19
- October 5th 2013 Our last few days in Negombo
by Words: 453 Photos: 0
- July 14th 2013 Back in the game......Sri Lanka!
by Words: 438 Photos: 70
- May 7th 2013 L'arrivée, l'humidité et la visite du triangle culturel.
by Words: 1514 Photos: 124
- March 31st 2013 Off to Dambulla
by Words: 23 Photos: 1
- March 30th 2013 We have arrived!!
by Words: 83 Photos: 0
- March 30th 2013 Mummy and daddy finally here
by Words: 37 Photos: 4
- March 27th 2013 Happy Birthday Evie
by Words: 95 Photos: 0
- March 25th 2013 They have arrived!
by Words: 44 Photos: 0
- February 24th 2013 36 hours later...
by Words: 138 Photos: 0
- April 29th 2012 Funky Hotel in Negambo
by Words: 376 Photos: 7
- March 19th 2012 Back Home
by Words: 2394 Photos: 16
- February 12th 2012 First day on the beach
by Words: 490 Photos: 0
- October 15th 2011 Sri Lanka, my home
by Words: 428 Photos: 0
- September 17th 2011 Cricket, kites and curries
by Words: 357 Photos: 17
- April 15th 2011 Tour diary - day 12
by Words: 164 Photos: 0
- November 28th 2010 Sri Lanka here I come !
by Words: 71 Photos: 0
- November 28th 2010 In Negombo, Jet Wing Beach Hotel
by Words: 35 Photos: 0
- October 29th 2010 Dikwella, Sri Lanka.
by Words: 232 Photos: 12