Worlds end


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province » Colombo
May 11th 2014
Published: May 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Well folks it's the penultimate day of my trip to Sri Lanka. What better way to celebrate than to get up at 4.40am to go hiking lol



Yes that's right i got up at 4.30am so we could leave at 5.30 to visit the Hortons Plain national park to see the world end, little worlds end and Bakers water falls.



We neede to get there before 10am as the mist engulfs the worlds end and you don't get to see the view. So armed with our pack up breakfast we headed for the park. I nipped to the loo. Opened the door to see a nice view of the hillside but no one could see me going to spend a penny, a novelty loo stop if there ever was one lol. Answering the call of nature looking a nature.



So off we drove into the park after paying the entrance fee. We soon came across some deer, a magnificent stag and his small harem of lady deer.

We drove through the park to the final point we could reach before heading off on foot. The park do not allow carrier bags, cling film or other pLastic wrapper items so we had to take out breakfast sandwiches and fruit out of the polystyrene boxes and out them in the paper bag the park rangers provided. They do a bag check and make sure you up have no banned packaging. So after being frisked we headed into the park on foot.



During our hakim we saw several small green lizards, a giant squirrel, several black eagles and other various kinds of births. Through tout hike we heard the local frog chorus but we just could see the little suckers lol. We first reached the little worlds end took some photos, then headed to see the worlds end. It's about 1km above the valley and the views are amazing and worth the slog getting up there. You can see for miles across and down into the valley. After taking breakfast there we headed to the second widest waterfall in Sri Lanka. They are rather lovely, loud and of course wet lol.

The scenery was really lovely and varied between open plains and grass land to wooded forest. As the day carried on it got very hot sticky, not so,humid. The mists around worlds end arrived around 10am as predicted So I glad we got up,early to see the views.



We got back to,the hotel around noon, got showered and changed and checked out and headed to Colombo. On the way we stopped off at the Mackwoods tree plantation, apparently HRH Prince Charles visited a few months ago. I had a tour round to see how the tea is picked, dried, fermented, sorted and graded. I had the tour with a newly married couples - 5 days from Colombo. They had come away on their honey moon with mum, dad, sister and younger brother. His mum said it was to make sure her son stayed out of trouble. lol. We then had a free pot tea and a slice of home made chocolate cake, how very civilised lol.



We then headed to Colombo and arrived around 7.30pm tired and hungry. So,I've had my tea from the all you can eat by buffet. It's mothers day here today so they on a special gateau but it was coffee flavour so I gave it a miss. We were entertained, and I say that loosely, by a duo one on key boards and vocals and one on vocals who played the saxophone too. I did try to video them on my iPad but couldn't figure how to do it. I can only liken them to a bad working men's club act mixed in with karaoke and the spoof group that Mel Smith and Griff Rhys Jones did. Very comical and it was hard for me to keep a straight face. They killed all the songs especially elvis and Chris Rea road to hell lol is left just as the burst in to happy birthday for some member of the audience lol. Lucky escape I call it.



So it's bed time for me and my last day in Sri Lanka



Night all


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb