A Trio of Weddings


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Weligama
January 18th 2013
Published: January 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

January 18... It must be an auspicious week in the Sri Lankan calendar for weddings. Not only did we happen across the one in Belihul Oya early this week (W1 photos), there were two more in Weligama and Galle Wednesday that a few of us were lucky enough to get some photographs of.

Wednesday morning, after watching quite a lovely sunrise (fyi, between 6 and 6:30 am) from the beach at the hotel, along came another wedding party (W2 photos) to get their photos done. The early morning wedding party was interesting for two reasons - (a) the wedding party was attired in traditional finery from the Kandy area and (b) the two flower girls never did show up for the photo shoot. I spoke to the bride just as they were leaving our hotel - she had been up since 2 am getting ready for the day! When you look closely at the pictures, you can see why it must be so time consuming getting ready - hair and makeup are immaculate, the sari's are beautifully put together and there is a lot of ornamentation and jewellery they wear.

There must not be a superstition around seeing the
W1 Belihul Oya 2W1 Belihul Oya 2W1 Belihul Oya 2

Weddiang Dias
bride on the day of the actual ceremony, as neither couple #1 nor couple #2 had yet had the marriage ceremony performed when they were getting the photos done. Given the number of photos taken and the very bossy wedding photographers I observed, I can understand why they do it first - there would be no time later! Wow, they take a lot of pictures. Actually, the early morning light is beautiful, which is why I suspect they really get them done early in the day.

Wednesday afternoon, while visiting Galle Fort, wedding couple #3 (W3 photos) was observed getting some photos near the ramparts of the Fort. This couple was interesting as it was day 2 of their wedding, and the bride was attired in a red sari - they call this second day the homecoming day, when the parents of the groom host wedding events for the newly married couple.

All of the brides were very gracious when I spoke briefly with them and while snapping their photos. I feel very fortunate to have been able to capture some of these moments.


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

W1 Belihul Oya 10W1 Belihul Oya 10
W1 Belihul Oya 10

Pre-reception - sting hoppers, sambal, fruit


18th January 2013

Weddings
Wow, spectacular pics Marilyn! One thing I noticed soon after looking at the pics is that Sri Lanka is a country of beautiful people!!! How fortunate that you were able to happen onto not only A wedding but 3 of them. Your trip sure is noteworthy so far! Good to hear from you!
19th January 2013

Lovely Photo's
Sounds like you are enjoying the trip. I'm enjoying the blog. Travel safe
31st January 2013

Enjoying your blog!
Marilyn, I am so very much enjoying your blog! Your photos are so beautiful ! I know you are loving every second of your life right now! Thanks for all the detailed stories !

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb