Does Deet actually work ?


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Unawatuna
March 1st 2011
Published: March 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Does deet actually work I wonder?

Its a real lottery regarding whether you get infected or not, I just pray I don't get anything x So itchy though, but for all my sunburn, bites in uncomfortable places(like my nipple can you believe !),and dealing with the odd stare from locals, (they really can't help it.) I must seem so odd and exotic! This really is a wonderful place, full of natural beauty and amazingly kind and generous people, who love to tease you, and most of all kick back and watch the cricket with you.

Life is slow in the south; its hot and if you wanted, you could just melt away. But I was never the kind to just sit still.

Leaving the comfort of Ems flat, Will, Ems and I headed to Siggis Mono Sports resort in Bentota. Ems drove us there from Colombo in her pink Ambassador; expertly dealing with the chaos of the roads. On arrival we munched down a generously sized breakfast and hitched a lift on a taxi boat across the lake to the famous Bentota beach. We rode the waves on our hired body boards, bronzed our bodies and toasted our first sunset with wine in cute little tea cups, whilst perched on a rock menaced by the waves. The next day Ems and Will water-skied exceptionally well across the lake, for beginners. They later persuaded me to be whizzed around on a doughnut pulled by a speedboat. Fun fun fun.

After bidding our farewells to Ems on the Sunday, Will and I, with backpacks in tow, were escorted by a friendly staff member to the bus stop. Eventually catching an air conditioned bus (150 rupees)to Galle. Briefly stopping in Galle we jumped in a tuktuk to Unawatuna. As recommended we found the Norlanka resort only to find it was full; the mother of the family run business led us to her resort, the Beach Bungalow. This family run resort has shown us nothing but hospitality and generosity; spending time with us and making sure all our daily needs are catered for. I highly recommend both resorts. Prices start from 4000 rupees(25 GBP), with breakfast included. Less than a stones throw from the beach and with a monkey family for neighbours. The family will try to help anyone find a place within budget.

Last night for my birthday Will organised a cake decorated by the brothers who run this resort. They put on a cracking display of fireworks...however I was a bit worried for the monkeys !!! as the fireworks were set off close to the coconut trees eeeek !!! I killed a monkey(only joking). Later we got drunk on the beach, and well I had to apologise for the noise when returning...they let me off, well this time !!!

I'm tired after an eventful day learning traditional Sri Lankan cooking at the Volunteers Village, Habaraduwa. The half day course costs 500 rupees(3 quid) plus the cost of food and transport to the local market. Accompanied by fellow, lovely, guests Pete and Mavis from Manchester. We prepared and cooked 5 different vegetable curries plus salad and a fruit cocktail (taught by the charity chef). All proceeds go to the charity The Village, working in conjunction with the Childrens' Hope Organisation, which provides opportunities to work and contribute to various projects in the surrounding area. For further info regarding how you can get involved or even volunteer, (fullboard $500 per month), please visit websites: www.volunteersvillage.com; www.childrenshope.lk .

I'm utterly charmed and impressed by the volunteers, children and fun loving, kind, staff members. I hope to visit them again very soon xx

Signing off...see you in Ella - next stop via Mirissa (a paradise beach).



Advertisement



6th April 2011

where are you now lou?? xxx

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb