Background: The Sinhalese arrived in Sri Lanka late in the 6th century B.C., probably from northern India. Buddhism was introduced beginning in about the mid-third century B.C., and a great civilization developed at the cities of Anuradhapura (kingdom from circa 200 B.C. to circa A.D. 1000) and Polonnaruwa (from about 1070 to 1200). In the 14th century, a south Indian dynasty seized power in the north and established a Tamil kingdom. Occupied by the Portuguese in the 16th century and by the Dutch in the 17th century, the island was ceded to the British in 1796, became a crown colony in 1802, and was united under British rule by 1815. As Ceylon, it became independent in 1948; its name was changed to Sri Lanka in 1972. Tensions between the Sinhalese majority and Tamil separatists erupted into war in 1983. Tens of thousands have died in an ethnic conflict that continues to fester. After two decades of fighting, the government and Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam formalized a cease-fire in February 2002, with Norway brokering peace negotiations.
Blogs from Pinnawala
Latest Blogs from Pinnawala
- April 27th 2012 Pinnawala Elephant Santuary
by Words: 326 Photos: 13
- March 29th 2012 Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage.
by Words: 270 Photos: 27
- May 22nd 2010 WHERE THE ELEPHANTS COME TO BATHE..
by Words: 1530 Photos: 65
- August 13th 2008 Elephants a go go and Wedding Fever!
by Words: 271 Photos: 11
- October 23rd 2006 Pinnewela - Orfelinatul de elefanti
by Words: 2270 Photos: 29
- September 10th 2006 Lizard trauma & elephants
by Words: 211 Photos: 1
- June 7th 2006 Kandy trip
by Words: 74 Photos: 5
- April 24th 2006 The elpahnt Orphanage
by Words: 10 Photos: 1
- January 9th 2006 Elephant Orphanage
by Words: 547 Photos: 1