DAMBULLA'S CAVE TEMPLES AND THE ANCIENT CITY OF POLLONARUWA


Advertisement
Published: June 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We encountered hectic traffic as we try to get out of Kandy, we are driving towards Dambulla, took us couple hours, we got pulled over by the cops for crossing the line, the driver, Mr. T gave them 500 rupees bribe just to let us go. Another stop we made was to a small shop where we had tea. Arriving in Dambulla, it was cloudy but not raining yet. The Golden temple was impressive, there were mannequin monks that line an elevated path going towards the Golden temple. Then we climbed up to see the Rock temple, we met Sylvie from Malaysia, she was ahead of me but stopped and waited for me and asked if she could walk up with me, she does not want to do it alone, we hiked up and Nish and Sachil followed, I did not realize I need a ticket but Nish was way ahead of me on that he brought my ticket from down below nice lad. There were about 5 caves where you see carvings of the Buddha among others statues carved from the rocks inside the cave, I like this one ,one of my favorites so far. We went to all the
Polannaruwa Polannaruwa Polannaruwa

Citadel council chambers
rooms in the cave and as we are on our way down we saw pilgrims coming up with flower offerings, they perform ceremonies at night but we have no time to have a look we got to move on and find a place to stay.

We drove in the night and an hour later we arrived in Habarana and stayed at this nice place called Acme hotel, we have our room at the back of the complex for 3,500 rupees a night per room. Our dinner was at their restaurant, incredible food! We were all so full we needed a walk.Good sleep and woke up to a bright sunshine we drove to Polannaruwa about an hour away from where we are staying at Habarana. First stop is the museum where I bought my $50 ticket for entry to the major sights in Sri Lanka, then problem happened, Nish and Sachil are being asked to pay the same and not as locals becaue they are technically Australians, the discussion went on and on and the 2 matrons in the front desk selling tickets were a pain in the ass, they let me in to the museum and I wanted to take a foto of the map of Sri Lanka I was told not allowed, I know I cross the line and it says no fotos for the relics in the museum, but you got to be kidding me this is not even an ancient map, it's a guide map that happens to be inside the premises of the no foto sign, I gave them shit about it ,telling them I paid $50 bucks I should be able to at least take a foto of a silly map! The woman told Mr.T I need to put away my camera in the case, she does not trust me, meanwhile other foreign tourists prance around with their cameras around their necks!

We went to the archeological sites in the searing heat of the day, not a lot of gringos but there are lots of students wearing white uniforms, they stare at me and some greet me in English wanting to practice, anyway this site is huge and took us maybe 6 hours to see most of it, intricate carvings, ruins of temples, baths etc. this were uncovered based on written accounts from old books and there are more still uncovered, the vastness
Polannaruwa Polannaruwa Polannaruwa

Rankot Vihara
of the kingdom and the lost texts make it difficult to exhume them all. We were all dehydrated and just wanted our lunch so when we finished we went to buy packed lunch of fried rice and spicey chicken curry, boy it was flaming hot! I finished mine nevertheless, taking out the chili bits. We stopped near the river where people bathe, after our meal we joined them and had a good swim, the water is coming from the artificial lake,that i believe was created since ancient times to collect rain water, now it's a watering hole for locals, a lot of local cool themselves off here and just like in Africa I jumped in and think about bilharzia later!

On our way back to the hotel in Habarana where we based ourselves for two days,we got pulled over by a cop, he was wondering why we are driving slow, Mr.T was on the phone that's why but he let us go without a fine, surprisingly enough. Dinner was sandwich as we are all still full and we bought beer in town, the liquor store is crowded with men buying booze and no queue, you sort of squeeze yourself in the crowd and stick your hand in to this small hole in the wall and buy what you want. Lion beer for us for later. We drank in our veranda, the boys later went in the room to watch cricket, Sri Lanka vs New Zealand in Florida! I fell asleep cause I can't understand the game. Tomorrow we are hoping for another perfect day and though I am already templed out, am quite excited to see the other ancient ruins in Sri Lanka.



WIKI INFO:


DAMBULLA:


The city of Dambulla is situated in the Central Province of Sri Lanka, situated 148 km north-east of Colombo and 72 km north of Kandy.

Major attractions of the city include the largest and best preserved cave temple complex of Sri Lanka, and the Rangiri Dambulla International Stadium, famous for being built in just 167 days. The city also boasts to have the largest rose quartz mountain range in South Asia, and the Iron wood forest, or Namal Uyana.

Ibbankatuwa prehistoric burial site near Dhambulla cave temple complexes is the latest archaeological site of significant historical importance found in Dambulla, which is located within 3 kilometers of the cave temples providing evidence on presence of indigenous civilisations long before the arrival of Indian influence on the Island nation.
The area is thought to be inhabited from as early as the 7th to 3rd century BC. Statues and paintings in these caves date back to the 1st century BC. But the paintings and statues were repaired and repainted in 11th, 12th, and 18th century AD. The caves in the city provided refuge to King Valagamba (also called Vattagamini Abhaya) in his 14 year long exile from the Anuradapura kingdom. Buddhist monks meditating in the caves of Dambulla at that time provided the exiled king protection from his enemies. When King Valagamba returned to the throne at Anuradapura kingdom in the 1st century BC, he had a magnificent rock temple built at Dambulla as a gratitude to the monks in Dambulla.

Ibbankatuwa Prehistoric burial site near Dhambulla, where prehistoric (2700 years old) human skeletons were found according to scientific analysis gives evidence on civilisations in this area long before arrival of Buddhism in Sri Lanka. Evidence of ancient people living on agriculture have been detected in this area for over 2700 years according to archaeological findings. (750 BC)


DAMBULLA CAVE TEMPLES:

It is the largest and best preserved cave temple complex in Sri Lanka. The rock towers 160 m over the surrounding plains.There are more than 80 documented caves in the surrounding. Major attractions are spread over 5 caves, which contain statues and paintings. This paintings and statues are related to Lord Buddha and his life. There are a total of 153 Buddha statues, 3 statues of srilankan kings and 4 statues of god and goddess. The latter 4 include two statues of Hindu gods, Vishnu and Ganesh. The murals cover an area of 2,100 m². Depictions in the walls of the caves include Buddha's temptation by demon Mara and Buddha's first sermon.


Time line of the Caves:

* 7th to 3rd century BC: Early inhabitants
* 1st century BC: Paintings and statues
* 5th century AD: The stupa was built
* 12th century AD: Addition of the statues of Hindu gods
* 18th century AD: Most of what we see today
* 19th century AD: An additional cave and some repainting
* 20th century AD:UNESCO restoration and lighting....



POLONNARUWA:


Today the ancient city of Polonnaruwa remains one of the best planned Archeological relic sites in the country, standing testimony to the discipline and greatness of the Kingdom's first rulers. Its beauty was also used as a backdrop to filmed scenes for the Duran Duran music video Save a Prayer in 1982. The ancient city of Polonnaruwa has been declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO.

Near the ancient city, there is a small town with several hotels (especially for tourists) and some glossy shops, and places to fulfill day to day needs. There are government institutions in a newly built area called “new town,” about 6 km away from the town and the main road. The largest school in the district, Polonnaruwa Royal Central College is situated at new town.

Polonnaruwa is the 2nd largest city in north central province. But it is known as one of the cleaner and more beautiful cities in the country. The greeny environment, amazing ancient constructions, Parakrama Samudraya (a huge lake built in 1200 A.C.), attractive tourist hotels and most importantly nice people with hospitality, always attracted local and foreign tourists. One recent scientific observation is that of its climate changes. Historically Polonnaruwa had a tropical climate most of the year, although it was occasionally chilly in December and January. But in recent years the rain and chillyness has been increased noticeably. Although this is surprising to some people, it is more enjoyable for tourists. But sometimes paddy field farmers suffers when there is too much rain.



Additional photos below
Photos: 78, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

PolannaruwaPolannaruwa
Polannaruwa

Alahana Parivena
PolannaruwaPolannaruwa
Polannaruwa

citadel inscriptions


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0986s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb