Nuwara Eliya


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Nuwara Eliya
February 5th 2014
Published: February 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Kandy to Nuwara Eliya



Up early and caught the train from Peradeniya Junction, outside Kandy for a 4 ½ hr journey to Nuwara Eliya 1900 metres up in the mountains. The carriages were already full and few seats were available so many of our group were standing, but not thankfully hanging of the sides like in Calcutta. As we moved up the line the people standing had risen somewhat and consisted of many nationalities from Polish, Chinese to French and many more, all paying the astronomical sum of 180 rupees (90p) for the long journey. As we gained height we came across the many tea plantations their factories and workers busy picking the new leaves. The area covered in tea is immense and quite spectacular. At the top we had a 7km bus journey, as soon as the driver had nipped out and got his lunch, of course. The road was under reconstruction and was in an extremely rough state with limited width and boulders and potholes everywhere. I had a large tooth filling fall out this morning and Valerie had a tooth break yesterday so we went to the dentist today and had them filled. £10 consultation and £5 per tooth filling - bargain. Not an injection or suction tube in site. They don't do wimps in SL. We are now stationed in what was the Governors Bungalow, which is more like a mansion, but ate out since our Sri Lankan guide said it was too expensive at £6.50 for a three course meal. The stars are out in a perfectly clear sky, mostly unknown in our part of the country at home. Talking to the Sri Lankans they still like the British since they developed their country with tea plantations, railways, roads and a system of Government etc and you can still see remnants of the British stay in many buildings like the post office and post box in the town and the Railway Engineer’s Office at the station, which is quite smart. Duvet on the bed tonight, since we are in the hills, unlike the single sheet of the past week. Good night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.48s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb