Trip to Danyang


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Taejon
September 29th 2008
Published: October 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

bridgebridgebridge

Jeff and I just after we arrived in Danyang.
On the second last weekend in September we took a trip to Danyang, a city north east of Daejeon. The bus ride took about 4.5 hours since we accidentally took the intercity bus which stops at all the tiny towns along the way. We did get to see some of the countryside which was beautiful. The caves were 1.7km long and followed narrow twisting metal staircases and catwalks, some of them which we could barely squeeze through! We stayed the night and the following day Jeff woke up at 4am to hike a mountain (Mt. Birobong, 1439 meters) while I opted to sleep in a few extra hours then headed up to Guinsa a Buddhist temple complex nestled in the mountains. Both the buildings and the people were fascinating. We were able to watch the monks chant as well as eat a free vegetarian meal at the communal kitchen (Note to small stomached travelers: only take a very small amount of food as the monks do not waste food and you MUST finish everything on your tray).



Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

caveentrcaveentr
caveentr

A humanish tree at the entrance of Gosu caves.
cav1cav1
cav1

A cave pool.
photoophotoo
photoo

Snapping some photos in the cave.
cav3cav3
cav3

Some stalactites....or are they stalagmites....
cav4cav4
cav4

It was a tight squeeze through most of the cave.
cav5cav5
cav5

A rock formation known as St. Maria.
cav6cav6
cav6

The cave was filled with these steep metal staircases.
cav7cav7
cav7

You really had to watch your head as the ceiling of the cave was covered with these stalagcites.
cav8cav8
cav8

More interesting rock formations.
cav9cav9
cav9

Stalacites...
cav10cav10
cav10

Some of the catwalks led you to some places where you had to crouch when you walked in order to pass through.
cav11cav11
cav11

A twisting spiral staircase that led us back down to the cave's exit.
cav12cav12
cav12

Rock formations that reminded me of a Dali painting.
cav13cav13
cav13

Near the end of the tour there was this glistening cave wall covered with some sort of tiny sediment.
dancoupledancouple
dancouple

On the opposite side of the river from Danyang.
danydany
dany

View of Chungju lake from Danyang bridge.
bridgbridg
bridg

View of Danyang bridge and the beginning of Sobaeksan National Park.
bulgogibulgogi
bulgogi

Jeff eyeing our bulgogi dinner.
bulgogbulgog
bulgog

Super excited for our feast! There were a lot of new side dishes that we hadn't seen before.
jeffhikejeffhike
jeffhike

The view while climbing Mt. Sobaeksan. Jeff started this hike at 4 am while it was still dark out.


10th October 2008

ummm
It look slike you are having fun Maddie!!!! The ˆè0 Ù looks awesome!!!!
12th October 2008

Looks awesome Mad!
22nd October 2008

catching up
My sister mentioned having seen more. I hadn't realized I should try again. Wonderful pictures.
16th November 2008

WOW!!!!
The beauty. The history. The caves were unbelievable. You are in an awesome country.

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb