it got really cold!!!


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
February 5th 2006
Published: February 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Us with Mr. Rhee, Mrs. Moon, and their daughterUs with Mr. Rhee, Mrs. Moon, and their daughterUs with Mr. Rhee, Mrs. Moon, and their daughter

We just can't get over how cool they were..
Well, the day we were supposed to hike the famed Bukansan with Mr Rhee, the temperature dropped to about minus 14. At first, we werejust going to buy icepics for our shoes, but Mr. Rhee thought it would be a tad dangerous. Instead, we loafed around the local Musuems... they are all so giant! At night, Matt, the teacher here from Texas, took us out to "Rodeo", which is the happening spot for overworked, wealthy Koreans to let loose. We first stopped atanice restaurant called "alcohol hall", which was filled with Koreans dressed in suits...apparently westerners don't have to live upto thedress ode. There, we ordered some food and tried their "Soju", which is a cheap, potent, Korean drink - a standard for any night out. Kind of like what Oozo is to Greece. Our next stop was a teen hangout called "BeerGirl" (nice names, eh?), where wehad more soju, mixed with 100 year wine. If you drink it, you are supposed to live to be a hundred. Koreans, however, mix it with soju to create the infamous "50 year wine". Well, at least we'll live to be fifty!

The next day, we headed to the Korean National Musuem, which was absolutely packed to the brim with Korean and chinese children...who at the age of 8 were takign in depth notes on the artifacts throughout the museum. After the museum, we headed to "Itaewon" which is the onlyplace where you can see more than two foreigners in one shop. We ended up finding a nice little canadian hangout...the only one in Korea, called "Rocky Moutnain Tavern", where we ordered some good ol' wings andfries, and met a fewstrange people in to see ther hockey game. Many people there (all teachers) were dissapointed in their jobs - apparently teaching in Korea isn't all it's craked up to be, and living there too long an turn people a bit stange.

On our last day, the fifth, Mr. Rhee gave us a tour in his car of all of Seoul's lamarks we hadn't seen - World Cup Stadium, Olympic Park, and the Opera House. They were all enormous, modern-looking, and filled with an extensive collection of giant sculptures. Rad. For our last meal, the Rhee's ordered us some pizza! Nifty!(except it had corn and potatoes on it... not the usual western variety!). They were so incredibly hospitable to us the entire week, and Mr Rhee even arranged for our bags and tickets to be taken care of at the airport!

The wait for our plane to Vietnam (wow!) was strange - we were extremely excited, but also so exhausted... jetlag + lack of sleep = a need to crashhh.... but we had laces to be, so we called the parents, (nice to hear you guys!) and were on our way to HO CHI MINH CITYYY!!!

wahoo!



Advertisement



6th February 2006

Great Update
It sounds like Mr. Rhees' family is just what you guys needed to start off your trip. Hopefully you guys got their address so that you can follow up with them when you get back. The pictures look great. Send more if you get a chance. Evan you should get a picture of yourself fishing in each country you visit. It would be good for your collection. Take care and make sure you look both ways while crossing the roads in Vietnam. Sterman says hi. LOL
6th February 2006

Lucky ducks!
That's so awesome that you guys met such a wicked awesome family to tour you around the city. Louie is twitching his nose in approval. Miss you!!
8th February 2006

SOOOO MUCH!
Hey you two!! Holy bejesus!! I got dizzy taking that all in. It sounds like you are having a freakin blast! Mr. Rhee sounds sooooooo nice. I don't understand why his name is Mr. Rhee and her name is Mrs. Moon. It may be a joke i am just too thick to understand! Anywhoosen I can't wait to hear about Vietnam so dont' stop writing!

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb