Changdeokgung Palace & Changgyeonggung Palace


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
November 20th 2008
Published: November 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Weekend trip to Seoul on the second weekend in November. Changdeokgung Palace is a World Heritage site and definitley the most amazing Palace I have seen since being here. Most noteworthy was the Secret Garden which was filled with stunning fall colours. Changgyeonggung Palace was another pretty palace, although not as nice as the previous and definitely had way too many gs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

DSC00962DSC00962
DSC00962

Most adventures begin with careful map studying directly after we get off the train. 50% of the time it works as the universal "I'm lost" sign and we get approached by very helpful Koreans.
DSC00965DSC00965
DSC00965

Warming up before our Palace adventure!
Photo 3Photo 3
Photo 3

Donhwamun Gate, the entrance to the palace. In order to enter Changdeokgung you must be on a guided tour and you must remain with them for the duration of your time inside.
Photo 4Photo 4
Photo 4

The palace provided me with many great photo opportunities.
Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

Apparently the more of these little statues a building has on its roof, the more important the building.
Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

This blue tile roofed building is where the king dealt with his more important matters. All the buildings in this palace originally had roofs that were this colour, but this is the only one left.
Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

This is Injeongjeon hall, the largest and most vibrant building in the entire palace.
Photo 8Photo 8
Photo 8

Amazingly, even though it appears that this building is 2 floors, it is actually just one big open space on the inside.
Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

Beautiful architecture.
Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

A nifty looking sundial. According to a conversation I overheard, it indicates the exact time in a season (end of fall, beginning of winter, etc).
Photo 11Photo 11
Photo 11

More of the palace.
Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

A very patient boyfriend pariently waiting for his girlfriend.
Photo 13Photo 13
Photo 13

A pretty man made pond in the Secret Garden.
Photo 14Photo 14
Photo 14

The leaves in the Secret Garden were absolutely amazing. I think half the pictures I took this trip were here. Lucky for you I narrowed them down to 3.
Photo 15Photo 15
Photo 15

Sun leaves.
Photo 16Photo 16
Photo 16

This was taken right about the time when I realized I had spent too much time in the Secret Garden and I was guided tourless.
Photo 1Photo 1
Photo 1

When I took this picture, I thought nothing of it, but accoring to our guide the tree growing on the right is a 750 year old Juniper tree.
Photo 17Photo 17
Photo 17

Following the twisting palace walls back to the beginning/end.
Photo 18Photo 18
Photo 18

While I was lost taking pictures, Jeff met a guy from France named Michele so we went with him to another nearby palace, Changgyeonggung.
Photo 19Photo 19
Photo 19

Cute Korean kid who kept getting way to close to the edge of the pond.
Photo 20Photo 20
Photo 20

One of the many huge gates leading out of the palace.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb