"Everything; but nothing, looks the same..."


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
May 30th 2007
Published: May 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Seoul01Seoul01Seoul01

Little kids are great fun!
A good quote from Randy that really sums up our Seoul experience. The city is very pretty, and the people are extreamly nice. I think that is one thing I will always remember; the people here always helped us, they showed us how to eat their food, where to go, and even how to send mail back to the U.S. (that is if you, mom, get something in the mail soon...).
Today we spent 12 hours walking around the city. We litteraly saw everything (the N Seoul Tower is the highest point in Seoul and is at the very center of the city, so naturally the view from 380 meters high is amazing). We had some great food, some interesting food, and some really not-so-appealing-to-our-tast-bud, food.
This morning we decided to go back to the traditional Korean food place we had eaten at for dinner the previous night. My thinking was that if they had good dinner, maybe they could make a good breakfast as well. Lets just say Randy will never forgive me for making him eat there. But I had to know! The Korean breakfast has still been proven to be: not-so-appealing. After a hearty breakfast
Seoul02Seoul02Seoul02

Changing of the guard seems to be a big thing in every culture
of porage, mixed with what we thought was ground meat of some sort, a nice raw egg yoke, and some spicy, but not too spice different vegatables, we began our great adventure into the city.
We started with the ever-so-popular, very local, cicular tasty bread/frozen milk parlor. The name is quite irrelavent, but if you must know, it was a 31 flavor of Robin in a Basket and a Dunk'in of the Donut place... Either way, we were quite happy and went to see the next great monument. It happened to be a grand temple, where we got mobbed by local kids. All saying "Hello! Hello!," and "Picture! One picture?". We obliged the children by doing selective traditions of our mother country. Such as: The Thumbs Up!, and "The Peace Sign," maybe a good tip of my trusty Cowboy hat. All these things are just great fun. We then asked them to do some traditions of their own. They agreed,and before we knew what happened, we were both laying on our backs from a frenzy of Round-House-Kicks-To-The-Face.
Ok, so maybe they didn't really Round-House-Kick-Us-To-The-Face, but we did have fun with the little kids. I am very excited for
Seoul03Seoul03Seoul03

"Greatest point of see Seoul" as the the sign did read
more remote parts of Asia because I think we will become that much more of a novelty. Randy doesn't like the attention much, but I think it is fun, and the pictures we get from it are always good. We went on to see more temples, palaces, parks and street markets. One temple in paticular was very cool. We got there as people were praying, and a monk was chanting over a loud speaker. It was very neat to see, and I hope we see more when we get to Tibet, Nepal, and others.
We walked through some of the largest open markets in all of Asia (as the travel panflits so apply put it). Here in Seoul, one could buy anything imaginable. Paper, yarn, silk, thread, knives, pig hoves, fur jakets and trinkets of all shapes and sizes. Markets cover the city, and all the shop owners are very nice to explain to you that pig hoves and snout are a very good dish. We didn't have any because we were not hungry, and would hate to offened them if we couldn't enjoy every last morsel of pig...
We now think we have a ferry over to
Seoul04Seoul04Seoul04

Great floating trees!
China, but since we don't understand much Korean, we might have just given all our passport information to someone to steal our indentity. Hopefully it's not the latter. Our ferry should leave tomorrow afternoon sometime. I am not sure when, and I'm really not sure from where, but those are minor details and I will leave that for Randy to figure out tomorrow morning. I am rather excited, even after a Switz traveler told us it was hell compared to the heaven of South Korean. What do the Sveetts know anyway?


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Seoul05Seoul05
Seoul05

Dylan having a great o'l time, skippin cross the river
Seoul06Seoul06
Seoul06

Again at the greatest spot to see Seoul


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb