We are Thankful For.....


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
October 10th 2006
Published: November 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Since Thankgiving just passed for Korea, we got to thinking that we were thankful for quite a few things ourselves. Being so far from America, we missed certain aspects of life. So here is a list of things in no particular order that we are thankful for:
*Ben, there won't be any pictures in this one, so don't even think about complaining, lol

Professor Yoo
This one we have to say is number one. It is because of this little woman we are in Korea. She set everything up. She has connections all over the world and has helped us experience more due to them, even more so than the other international students here. From our plane ride over (direct and she got the school to pay for it) to little day trips we take with her connections she has here, to the little conveniences we live with.
She is someone we will never forget for the rest of our lives. She has almost adopted us as her children because she does not have any of her own. This woman, we found out went to Ewha for her undergrad studies on a full scholarship. She did so well, they gave her another full scholarship for her graduate work as well. Wow, no wonder she told us to go to Ewha University. This was only the "tip of the iceberg" for the things she accomplished in her life up to this point. Look forward for more information in future blogs.
Hye-Jin, Soo Won, and Youn
We met these girls at Centenary while they did their study abroad. We have so many memories with them and they have helped us more than you could imagine since we have arrived in Korea.
Hye-Jin will, without a doubt, will follow in Professor Yoo's footsteps one day. Professor Yoo is also her "mother" while she is in the states and Hye-Jin is our "mother" while we are here.
Soo Won and Youn are the ones who introduced us to all things Korean in New York one weekend way back when and fell in love with the idea if coming here.
Perry & Kaz
These girls are a buy one get one free deal as well. It's always Sarah & Renee and Kaz & Perry. Again, we have so many memories with them and we love them. Will definitely keep in touch when we go home.
Anyone who speaks English
I know it sounds kind of a simple thing, but sometimes it was nice to have a complete conversation in your own language, understanding every single word...even if you didn't care about what the topic was. It was a "breath of fresh air" at times, believe me. Even if it is a random Korean who can understand us enough to translate something to another, yes we are even thankful for them.
Classes in English
However broken the language may be, it still matters. Our favorites so far are "sichiation" for situation, "brasome" for blossom, and one that says "you know" 536 times in about an hour and 40 minutes...I kept a tally sheet one class. It's quite entertaining most of the time.
English language anywhere anytime
Since our vocabulary consisted of "Hello", "I'm hungry"," I'm full", "Thank you" and "Goodbye" between the two of us when we arrived, we were in need of some major assistence, haha. It has improved immensly since then, but you get the idea.
Any Form of Anything We can Understand
Examples: pictures on menus, subtitles on menus, signs, any directions to anything, numbers on anything in numerical form instead of spelled out in Korean, and generally anywhere we come across it. Even if we know what to do, it really boosts confidence on some days when you can read something and tell the other with such enthusiasm even if it is a simple "do no walk" at the stoplights. Sad, but true.
Any Edible American Food
Don't think because it looks familiar, it is. We have repeated this mistake numerous times. It is rather "American inspired", but will have sweet potato funk instead of freakin' sauce on a pizza, have spices mixed up or non existent, or come with an unnoticed funk sauce that you will not happen to come by until you take a bite. You might be a little upset if you have had a long day and haven't eaten in way too long and even though it's gross in the states, your eyes light up as you see the sign. Trashing it and walking out we were let down once more. This wasn't an "Aww man, I forgot to tell them no mayo, but I can take it off and finish anyway" kind of situation. More like an "Aww man, I forgot to tell them no funk sauce and I can't even try to take it off because it is green and contaminated everything already, but there is another place we can eat down the street" kind of one. We have been here long enough to learn this lesson, but still we get caught.
Clean, Efficient Subway System
A world of difference compared to any subway I've ever been on in the states. We have yet to see a hobo or bum living in it. We love the color coordination to switch to different lines, that's definitely a plus.
Steps, Escalators, Elevators, Ramps, Etc.
Korea is a country on some kind of sick land. You can walk uphill for 200 meters and then turn the corner and think "Wow, we must be at the top, because I can almost see the Great Wall of China from here!". Guess what bucco? there is a steeper hill your way. These things are a great accomidation for you legs. Steps are still a far cry, but when your calves and quads are rock hard from riding horses since you were like born and ran track for god only knows how many years and they start to hurt going up inclines, steps aren't so bad. Since you have to expend soooo much energy and sometimes rest stops on the way up to somewhere, esclators, elevators, and other things are appreciated much more to help you on your voyage to the way. Any of these said accomidations are better on the way down too. Not so intimidating when they block off an esclator for the way down so you have to take the steps. Much better than if the one was blocked for going up. I think anyone will agree with me when I say the view from the top of steps is better than the view from the bottom.
Taxi Drivers
I have to make this clearer. Taxi drivers who understand the place you want them to take you to, even if you butcher the pronunciation a tad. We have gotten out of many due to this, but our skills are developing more and more each day. We once even got into one that the driver couldn't understand a word of English, but was fluent in Spanish, not Japanese, Chinese, or even English, but Spanish. It was a memory we will cherish forever.
Linda at Centenary
Who employed the Spanish speaking people to help maintain the food services for the college. But most of all, thank you for employing Renee in the kitchen over the summer so she could pick up enough Spanish to tell the said taxi driver our destination.


We are truly thankful for many things that I haven't mentioned yet, but these things hold a special place in our hearts. We add things to this "list" constantly and a complete one will proceed this in the future. Until then....next time you are walking over a speed bump in a shopping center or stepping up and down from a curb, do us a favor and just think "At least that's the highest point at any given time in Philly or Jerz."
It puts a smile on my face when I know when I get back to work in a few months (that is before Best Friends invents a contraption a weimaraner can't escape from), I will be down the steps and at the camp door before they will, to catch them and put them back. I'm sure Dina will be surprised as she sees not one blur go by, but two.

Advertisement



14th November 2006

Looking forward to your next blog.
19th November 2006

Awesome
I love how descriptive you are. I feel like I'm seeing these things through your eyes. Hey, by the way, did you try any of that "ten different kinds of ass" kimchi? lol Yuck! I might just piss myself the next time I hear the word "funk" HILARIOUS!

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb