Background: Korea was an independent kingdom under Chinese suzerainty for most of the past millennium. Following its victory in the Russo-Japanese War in 1905, Japan occupied Korea; five years later it formally annexed the entire peninsula. After World War II, a republic was set up in the southern half of the Korean Peninsula while a Communist-style government was installed in the north. During the Korean War (1950-53), US and other UN forces intervened to defend South Korea from North Korean attacks supported by the Chinese. An armistice was signed in 1953, splitting the peninsula along a demilitarized zone at about the 38th parallel. Thereafter, South Korea achieved rapid economic growth with per capita income rising to roughly 14 times the level of North Korea. In 1987, South Korean voters elected ROH Tae-woo to the presidency, ending 26 years of military dictatorships. South Korea today is a fully functioning modern democracy. In June 2000, a historic first North-South summit took place between the South's President KIM Tae-chung and the North's leader KIM Jong Il.
Photos from Gunwi County
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Gunwi County
Latest Blogs from Gunwi County
- February 5th 2011 The year of the rabbit, 2011 had arrived
by Words: 392 Photos: 14
- September 27th 2010 Thank you! My Choo-seok
by Words: 350 Photos: 45
- February 18th 2010 the first day of tiger's year in lunar month!
by Words: 108 Photos: 78
- October 6th 2009 My Choo-seok and My trekking around my home-town
by Words: 364 Photos: 24
- July 30th 2009 Chisan valley , Mt. Palgong in Summer
by Words: 293 Photos: 16
- April 6th 2009 Spring in my hometown,Gunwi
by Words: 242 Photos: 31
- August 22nd 2008 #14-LAST DAYS-ODDS AND ENDS
by Words: 810 Photos: 164
- April 26th 2008 Life in South Korea...
by Words: 137 Photos: 61
- April 23rd 2008 Special trip with John and Belinda
by Words: 379 Photos: 7
- January 12th 2008 #7- Four Different Mountains
by Words: 1605 Photos: 59
- January 9th 2008 It's season for skiing!!!!!
by Words: 231 Photos: 8
- December 24th 2007 Do you know this special day, "Dong-Ji day(동지, 冬至)"?
by Words: 213 Photos: 8
- December 1st 2007 #6 AROUND THE VILLAGE
by Words: 1135 Photos: 66
- November 27th 2007 My school, My classroom and My pupils
by Words: 161 Photos: 8
- November 16th 2007 My field trip with my pupils
by Words: 255 Photos: 8
- November 12th 2007 Here is Mt. Palgong(八公山, 팔공산)
by Words: 255 Photos: 12
- November 10th 2007 #5-HOME AND AUTUMN HARVEST
by Words: 1176 Photos: 80
- October 30th 2007 Good places to make an excursion to
by Words: 368 Photos: 10
- October 24th 2007 Take an excursion!
by Words: 388 Photos: 12
- October 15th 2007 where I live in
by Words: 471 Photos: 12