What if America had Stricter Gun Laws?: A Case study on the Consequences of Strict Gun Laws in Korea


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Gyeonggi-do » Seongnam » Bundang
February 2nd 2007
Published: February 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Omar in the ForegroundOmar in the ForegroundOmar in the Foreground

Omar dressed up as Morpheus for Halloween.
There are no guns in Korea. Well at least compared to the United States, it seems like there are no guns in Korea. Gun laws here are very strict. You are not allowed to keep a gun at your house. You are only allowed to own a gun for hunting purposes, and the few who do, have to keep these guns at the local police station. When you want to hunt, you go to the police station, check your gun out, hunt, and return it to the station when you're finished. This is vastly different from America, where it is considered an undeniable right that every citizen over the age of "able-to-hold-a-gun" is allowed and in fact encouraged to wield a lethal weapon. I must say that this difference in gun culture is intriguing.

Now, don't get me wrong; I'm no hippie-liberal pansy implying that guns should be outlawed and peace should be spread with bubbles and rainbows. I enjoy the power surge one feels when holding a gun just as much as the next killer. As Homer Simpson famously quipped "I'm sorry I lied to you Marge, but this gun had a hold on me. I felt this incredible
"No... the Marlboros to the Left""No... the Marlboros to the Left""No... the Marlboros to the Left"

Photo courtesy of http://www.imdb.com. All rights reserved.
surge of power... like God must feel... when he's holding a gun."

I would like to enlighten you as to some of the subtle differences between Korea and America in relationship to this difference of "gun prevalence."

First of all, cops are chill in Korea. The strict gun laws prevent the use of excessive force leading to deaths, and increase the public respect of police officers.

Half of my neighbors back in the States are police officers. Actually one is the Police Chief, one is the guy right under the Chief, whose son just became a cop, and my sister is a Crime Scene Investigator for the City (cop). I, personally, have nothing against police officers. However, American police have the reputation of being a bit forceful, sometimes unpleasant, and in a few cases "quick to the trigger." The instances of police officers being "quick to the trigger" have led to many news reports of police altercations resulting in deaths.

In Korea, the opposite is true. I tried to find articles of Korean police officers being trigger happy and came up with nothing. Then I realized that police officers in Korea couldn't be "quick to the trigger" if they tried.
Happy HalloweenHappy HalloweenHappy Halloween

Image courtesy of http://www.hotflick.net/ All rights reserved.
Why? Because they don't carry guns. It's difficult to accidentally shoot someone if you don't have a gun with which to accidentally shoot him. Most of the police officers simply carry around sticks (which may actually be flashlights) and cell phones. I imagine a rare few carry stun guns or tasers, but I have yet to actually witness this. Imagine cops not having guns in America. This might cause a small problem due to the prevalence of private gun ownership. In Korea, however, this is no problem at all. Not only is there a low criminal homicide rate, but there tend to be less stories of suspects being shot and killed before sufficient evidence showed them to be life threatening.

I was able to find a link to an article about Korean cops using "excessive force." In America "excessive force" often means that somebody was killed (shot of course). In Korea, "excessive force" is less depressing and a little more humorous. In this case, it means that Korean cops brought unofficial tools of enforcement to a scene, because they don't carry guns and apparently their flashlights don't do the job as well as good old fashioned baseball bats and pool cues.

“Several police officers were too passionate about cracking down on adult game rooms. We will thoroughly inspect the case because the officers used unlawful weapons, such as baseball bats.”

Another consequence of stricter gun laws in Korea is that police officers are not regarded negatively. Cops in Korea lack Homer Simpson's "God mentality" that is often created by the possession of a gun. I'm not saying that all cops in America have God mentalities, but I'm less in the business of being particular, and more in the business of expounding generalities and honest stereotypes. And you're going to have a hard time convincing me that the average person doesn't feel a rush of power when a loaded gun is placed in his hand, police officers included. I believe it is this rush of power that not only adds to the increase in homicide rates in America, but also adds to the firmness of the speech and action of police officers that can often come off as forceful and unpleasant thus leading to a lower level of respect garnered from the general public for gun-wielding police officers.

I saw my first group of Korean beat cops the other week. Two were leaning over a spider-arm coin game (where you try and pick up a stuffed animal with a metal grappling-hook thing dangling from the top of a box) and the other one was playing games on his cell phone. This doesn't imply that banks were being robbed across the street and the cops weren't doing anything about it. This implies that banks were not being robbed, and the cops had enough free time on their hands to play games while on the job.

Cops here simply lack aggression and any sense of a power trip. They just hang around waiting to be called to a scene, not to potentially deal with a gun-wielding suspect, but probably to simply talk to some non-gun-wielding person about a problem. This isn't to say that Korea doesn't have its fair share of corrupt cops and that strict gun laws make cops nicer. The point is that the stricter gun laws prevent irreversible consequences (aka, deaths) and reduce the feeling of ill-will towards police officers.


Second insight. Stricter gun laws make it safe to walk around at night. No really. In Korea they have no idea what you mean when you say "the freaks come out at night." They would respond "you're calling my grandmother a freak?" I kid you not; I see ajumas (older Korean women) power-walking in the canal at one in the morning. I see 12 year olds walking by themselves down a dimly lit street after midnight. One night I even saw a group of three cyclists riding down the canal decked out in racing helmets and spandex while I was walking home from bars at 2 in the morning. No big deal.

For the first week I was in Korea, I was scared walking home from school at 11 pm, because there are dark alleys along the way that are prime for crime. I imagined some bum waiting for a foreigner like me to walk by so he could spring upon me to demand my wallet and shoes. You have to understand where I come from. A year before I came to Korea, a couple was robbed in the middle of the street where I lived (in the US) around 11 pm. The thief stole the girlfriend's purse and the boyfriend's wallet, then shot the boyfriend in the foot and ran. This was right outside where I lived and very easily could have been me. A couple years before that, a friend of mine from high school was shot and killed at an ATM in my neighborhood. No, not just in my city, but in my neighborhood a few blocks from my house. Needless to say, I don't walk around at night with my eyes closed. In Korea, however, I'm beginning to feel less threatened. No guns in Korea makes walking around significantly safer.

Third insight. With the absence of real guns comes the presence of realistic fake guns. This results in a much more subtle consequence of stricter gun laws. I would like to reiterate: In America, citizens are allowed to have guns in the their homes and on their person in public if they own proper permits. Police officers in America also carry guns because they would be ineffective against any gun-wielding suspect. In Korea, citizens are not allowed to have guns in their homes nor are they allowed to carry guns in public. Police officers in Korea do not carry guns because the potential of a suspect carrying a gun is drastically reduced by the strict gun laws.

Subtle consequence:
Kids carry realistic fake guns. My fellow teacher, whom we'll call Omar, confiscated two guns from his students who thought it would be cool to bring them to school. One is an exact replica of a Glock 9mm, with the same cocking mechanism, heavy metal, and everything. The only exception is that it shoots bee-bees instead of bullets. The other gun Omar confiscated was just as real looking, AND it had a silencer on it. I'm not talking plastic, bright pink silencer; I'm talking metal, black, removable silencer that screws onto the end of this bee-bee gun which looks a lot like something James Bond keeps in his back pocket. Did these children get in trouble for bringing guns to school? No sir. Omar simply confiscated two new Halloween props and the kids went on learning English.

In America, not only would these kids have been suspended indefinitely, but there's a good chance that they would be awaiting trial right now. A friend of mine in High School was suspended for 10 days because they found a pocket knife... in his truck... locked in a tackle box... under his lures next to his fishing poles. Think about that for a second. 10 Day suspension. True story. Imagine if he had a couple loaded, realistic-looking bee-bee guns in class.

Bringing a gun to school in America is no joke. Why is it no joke? Have you ever thought about it? Because guns are dangerous! Well, not exactly. Real guns are dangerous. Bee-bee guns are more painful than dangerous. Bringing a gun to a school in America is serious because the gun is likely to be real, and real guns kill people. Why is it likely to be real? Because Dads, Uncles, and older brothers own real guns. And where do they keep these guns? Not at local police stations, but under beds and in closets at their homes. And if little Johnny ever gets picked on, beat up, or chastised at school, he knows where to go to get a little respect from his classmates.

Not in Korea. If a kid brings a gun to school, it's a bee-bee gun. And bee-bee guns are not brought to school to get respect or to shoot anyone; they're brought to school because they're fun.

Last insight about stricter gun laws in Korea. You figure the moral of this one out.

Omar is a 6 foot tall, bald-headed, muscular-built, black Muslim from Oakland. In the right light, he takes on a striking resemblance to Lawrence Fishburne. So for Halloween, Omar naturally dresses up as Morpheus from The Matrix. We head out to bars and he brings along with him these two confiscated guns as props for his costume which mainly consists of black shades, a long black trench coat, and a gun in each hand. On the way out to bars, around 11:30 at night, with plenty of people walking around, he stops in at the convenience store to pick up a pack of cigarettes. From the outside, I watch him through the all-glass front of the store. In full view of the outside, he strides up to the counter, with both guns in his hands, points to the pack he wants with the Glock, lays the gun on the counter, pays the man and walks out. No big deal.

Ask yourself: In America, what would have happened if a 6 foot black man in an all black trench coat walked into a convenience store with two guns and pointed behind the register with one of the guns? Imagine a gun-wielding American cop was outside and saw Omar walk in. You tell me what would have happened.

Welcome to Korea. You are now free to walk about without fear.

Advertisement



4th February 2007

atta boy... i was starting to miss your entries... hope all is well and i sure will miss you when i go to Buddys tonight for the superbowl!! Tell Mike hello for me.
4th March 2007

What if we all were millionairs?
The fact is that their are laws in the United States guns, the fact is that comparing South Korea and U.S.A. is like comparing rocks with fruit; there is none. A king (size) bed state (vs) a Small (size) is not in the running. If you people knew anything about the constitution of the U.S.A. this conversation would not even be addressed. (THE WHAT IF) is an excuse for not knowing what you are talking about. Our country is founded on freedom, rights, equallity, and do not trend on me! If we choose to turn the other chick than our country would fall with in it's self. We would no longer continue to live as free spirited people in our world as we know it. We in the U.S.A. live by the gun, we live by our word; and most important of all we will fight anyone any where that would try to take it from us.
4th March 2007

What if...?
I have accepted the comment from "Joe" because it fits the purpose of this particular post quite well. The purpose of this post was to enlighten people as to a difference and its consequences. The goal was to make people think. The comment by Joe fits this goal; it should make you think. Thank you, Joe.
20th April 2007

you have a great writing style
I love your blogs!! Anyway I read this one the night before the lastest American Shooting at the university. You are absolutely right!! After having an indepth discussion with my husband that night, how shocking just 15 hours later to have the shootings all over the news!! It felt so surreal. Ironic how the shooter was Korean!! The Australian Gun laws are very tight here after we had a mass shooting 10 years ago. I don't thing any one can have semi automatics here. You also have to have a liscense and be registered etc to have a gun. Maybe due to the large US population it is too late to take aways people's guns. Here they had a buy back scheme and destroyed 1000's of guns in the new Gun reform.
22nd April 2007

Great article!
I hope you submit articles for publication. Great insight. I will definitely be reading the rest of your entries. As a Canadian, I look at American gun culture with disgust. No disrespect intended and, since I haven't held any gun but the .22 that knocked me over at age 6, maybe I am not fully qualified to comment. However, the idea that more guns will make people safer is ludicrous. You can see the proof every day in the death rates in the US. Statistically, private guns are almost useless for self-defence. In Canada we are not gun-free like the Koreans. We still have private rifle ownership but handguns and automatic weapons are not legal. Sharing the "worlds longest undefended border" with America makes these laws less useful than they should be. We have a lot of problems with police violence because they are heavily armed and trained into racist paranoia. Plus they live in the suburbs and fear the cities they are meant to protect. We have occasional citizen shootings. In Toronto there are about 10 shooting deaths per year per 1000000 citizens. I am rambling. Suffice to say, great article and the world would be a better place without guns and surges of power. Is there a human equivalent of a surge-protector?
30th August 2007

More weapons means Less safety
A lot of countries in the world have the reasoning that if I have a weapon of equivalent power, I would keep my enemies at bay. This is not only untrue but is furthest away from reality. The fact is, if both do not carry a gun, everyone is safe. However, if I carry a gun, then you would also need to carry a gun to ensure that I do not use the gun. Then, when I carry a machine gun, you would be scared and then purchases a machine gun and so on. Until the day that these nations actually carry nuclear weapons just to scare each other. What if somehow an elected leader of these countries happened to be a fool? The truth is, the best thing is to have lesser and lesser weapons per year and not more. What a good example that Korea has shown, even if the North is still considered a dangerous neighbouring state.
4th February 2008

Human's kill humans even without guns
I'm a korean American living in the states for over 25 years.. and have been living in korea for 5 years now... when I lived in the states I was never scared to walk around carried a 9m in my car and had a glock at home... The point is I wasn't scared not because I had a gun but because I've lived here all my life. you know thats bull "when I carry a machine gun you would be scared and then purchase....." MAN has been killing since the stone age!!! If you take away the guns, people will use knives if you take away knives they'll use bat's if you take away bat's they'll use sticks..get the point!!! taking away guns will not make it safer... I've lived in korea for 5 years and yes they don't have guns and yes the students don't go to school and shoot people with guns but !!! what the media doesn't tell you is the little "Tommy who gets picked on every day decided to take a knige to school and start stabbing the other student's which led to a student bleeding to death.... and not to mention all the rapist who slits womens girls boys throats after molesting them and raping them... and not mention the latest 2 guys walk right up to 2 army soldiers on gaurd beat them with baseball bats killing one of them and taking their assault rifles rounds and two granades... the only difference between korea and the good ole USA is they use baseball bats and knives in korea... you think knives don't KILL???? and they don't broadcast homicides and rapes and burglaries as much in korea... theirs more going on then you know..just a year ago acouple guys started to rob people when they went to the atm to get cash.. they would bash their skulls in and take the cash ...the point is ... THEY STILL DIED!!!. THEY DON'T NEED GUNS TO KILL AND RAPE!!!.
26th June 2008

Gun ownership in the US
I love the gentle nature of the Korean people, and yes, it is safer. A lot of people opine that the US needs stricter gun laws, stating that other countries that have lower crime rates have stricter gun laws. However, one has to consider that the culture is very different among countries. I one compares various states in the US (each state has it's own gun regulations), one will find that the states that allow law-abiding citizens to carry firearms have lower incidences of violent crime. There aren't enough cops in the US to deter the amount of crime we have. If students had been allowed to carry firearms on campus when the VT shootings occurred, someone may have been able to stop that guy. What happened instead is all the law-abiding students were left defenseless while the criminal went on a killing spree.
3rd July 2008

Nice read but a little out of date
A good article in general. I would like to say that I am a Canadian and have been living here in S.Korea for 10 years and I would like to add some to this discussion. I have lived in Daegu for all 10 years and contrary to public belief, police in Korea DO, for the most part carry weapons. They carry revolvers locked to their police belts while on patrol and junior officers(ie performing mandatory military duty) carry gas guns. So times have changed in the year since this article was written I guess. And as a previous poster said, Knives and matal pipes will kill me just as well as a gun. Gun caused homicides and the actual homicide rate here in S.Korea are very different stories.
14th September 2008

And you missed the main issue in South Korea.
Perhaps if South Korea were a little more serious about arming their populace and defending themselves they wouldn't get taken over by other countries every few decades and a constant U.S. military presence would not be required to keep North Korea at bay. Thoughtless people like you, Kuno, are the ones who would wear the yokes of vicious dictators without the intervention of firearm-toting Americans.
11th November 2008

100% Wrong, Sorry
This is ridiculous. You have not stated the #1 preventer of crime in south korea: homogenous culture. Koreans are like one big happy family. When one of them dies in a hostage situation, a military event, etc., every korean citizen acts as if a family member was lost. Whereas in the USA, we have blacks, hispanics, whites, etc. all in one roof. Our society is divided. Blacks or hispanics sometimes actually enjoy perpetrating crimes on other races. Compare crime rates in Africa, Europe, and Asia. Africa has the worst. So naturally, if many africans are in the USA, our crime rate will be worse. It doesn't take a genius to understand that some races are, whether by environment, upbringing, or blood is debateable; more inclined to crime. The lack of guns IS NOT WHAT leads to low crime in korea. It's the lack of a desire to commit crimes. It's the strict upbringing from an early age to work hard and the tight-knit social structure that one wouldn't dare commit a crime for fear of becoming a complete social outcast. But, besides the point, even in South Korea the lack of gun ownership helped cause 144 civilian deaths during 5.18, the gwangju massacre. The #1 murderer in the world is not citizens against each other. The #1 murderer is government. In the 1900's, 8 million died worldwide from murder, whereas over 100+ million died from government genocide/murder of it's OWN CITIZENS. One of the few policies genocidal dictators all have in common is: gun control. Hitler, Mao Tse-tung, and Stalin all implemented gun control, and collectively killed 10x more than all citizen-caused murder combined (more than 80million). The fact also remains that murders are much lower in "right-to-carry" states in the USA than in the states that refuse that right. If german jews had carried guns, millions would be alive. If the soviets and chinese citizens carried guns, tens of millions would be alive. A gun-toting population has NEVER been genocided, as it is impossible to do so, it becomes a war, as the victims have a fighting chance. You are statistically 10x more likely to die of genocide as a human, than of murder. And carrying a gun, statistically lowers your chance of dying from either!
3rd December 2008

Respond to Mr. Jackhammer
Mr. Jackhammer, you're an idiot. The last time Korea was invaded was by the Japanese, and that was well over half a century ago. The other times they were invaded, guns weren't even around. Also, why don't you learn something before you run your mouth. Korea has one of the largest militaries in the world. Just because the citizens don't carry guns doesn't mean they're vulnerable to invasions from different countries. When was the last time civilians fought wars? Are you a retard? That's what militaries are for. Quit being an ignorant retard. And you completely missed the entire point of his article. Learn to stay focused.
5th December 2008

Thank You...
... for all of your comments. I appreciate the insight and knowledge everyone has added to this discussion. If you plan to post a comment, please read the article and the preceding comments first. I will accept comments liberally, but I will not allow offensive comments (about Americans, Koreans, or any other groups). If you disagree, do so logically, not offensively. Thank you. - Kuno
12th January 2009

You're forgetting to mention...
You have to remember two things here: 1) S. Korea's only trade that's conducted with the outside world is done through a small handfull of ports and one airport, making it very easy for them to control the importation of contraband. They have the same restrictions on drugs as the United States, but look how much easier it is to get drugs in the US than Korea. I don't know about you, but where I'm from it is extremely easy to get a handgun which HASN'T been stolen, but smuggled into the country, brand new and in the box. 2) It wasn't until the 1980's that S Korea became a free society and was able to escape dictatorship and martial law, and there is no safety net preventing another military coup.
16th January 2009

They're Good People
I believe that the lack of violent crimes in South Korea speaks more of the strong moral fiber of the Korean people and less of the lack of guns in the hands of the people. They have respect for others built right into their language.
7th February 2009

Correlation does not equal Causation.
Some people have already said this, but I think that it has much less to do with the possession of firearms and much more to do with the overall culture. Here in Canada, there are plenty of guns, maybe not rivalling the per capita numbers of the US, but well over many other developed nations. I myself own a handgun and some rifles. Yet, our gun crime rate is considerably lower than that of the US. Why? Cultural differences, not the availability of firearms. I'm willing to bet if every Korean person above the age of 20 were to receive a gun, nothing would change. I tend to find that the only place where firearms laws seem to work are places where people wouldn't kill each other anyway. So, are Americans more violent because they have guns, or do Americans have guns because they are more violent?
2nd June 2009

My Korean daughter-in-law was marveling at the difference in attitude and behavior between Korean cops and Chicago cops. My answer satisfied her (and me) completely: " In Korea, cops wear white gloves; in the US, cops carry guns." Of course, the criminals in Korea usually can't get their hands on guns, either.
17th September 2009

Gun control does not reduce crime
Thank you for posting this as it is an interesting topic. Here in Canada we have very severe gun laws that inhibit the average person from defending themselves adequately. There is absolutely no link between tight gun control laws and reduction in crime. Just look at a country like the Czech Republic where a person can purchase a hand gun with relative ease and yet their crime and homicide rate is relatively low. What is more, I have always wondered why feminists have not pushed for more liberal gun control laws here in Canada. It is a statistical fact that women are 2.5 times more likely to survive a physical attack unharmed if they possess a hand gun yet 4 times more likely to suffer injuries if they physically defend themselves. Alas, the laws in Canada will stay on the the side of the illogical. Believing tight gun control laws reduces crimes is just as silly as believing the death penalty reduces crime.
10th November 2009

UK has all guns banned. Only special police have guns, the vast majority don't. The UK has more gun deaths per 100,000 than Switzerland does, a Country where Assault rifles are legal and there is lots of gun ownership. Does But just because one country has banned guns and has low gun deaths doesn't mean banning guns lowers gun deaths. In fact after the UK banned guns, gun deaths went up. Also someone commented that if neither people have weapons, both are safe is ridiculous. Knives and baseball bats account for a huge number of murders, so do beatings and strangulation. People don't kill just because they have a weapon. There's a whole set of knives in my kitchen I could kill people with, but I don't because I don't want to kill anyone. Banning guns just means the only people who own a gun are intending to use it for a crime. this would explain why banning guns in the UK didn't reduce gun deaths, because all the people who wanted to murder with a gun can get one anyway. Banning guns only stops law abiding citizens from having guns (the kind of people you want to have guns)
3rd August 2010

america is not Korea
Just a note, Kuno it is apparent you understand very little regarding, what our choices are here in America and the freedoms that for now we still hold on to. You make an apple and oranges comparison regarding firearm freedoms between Korea and America, I will not watse my time invoking the federalist papers and explaining upon why we believe in our inherent right of using firearms for our self preservation and protection from evil, case in point if the black man had at his disposal, firearms he never would have become a slave nor his people.
21st October 2010

Clarity
Seems a bit late to comment on this article but I feel compelled to add to the discussion anyway. It is generally accepted that statistics indicate strict gun laws do NOT reduce crime. For every example (such as yours) of nations with strict gun laws and low crime there is an opposite example of a nation with high accessibility to guns and low crime. A good example here is Switzerland which requires a good portion of the populace to keep an assault rifle at home and be competent in its operation yet has about half the homicide rate of South Korea. Likewise, case studies of areas that end up passing stricter gun laws do not support the argument that harsh gun laws reduce crime. Crime has many, many factors that lead to its prevalence in a country such as culture, level of heterogeneity, stratification of economic classes, ability of the poor to survive comfortably, drug laws, medical accessibility, etc, etc. Gun laws is not a factor that has any large correlation to crime statistics. Furthermore, there are a few main issues I'd like to bring up at this time. First, the argument that having a gun does not dissuade criminals only works because of the tendency for the majority of the populace NOT to carry guns. If criminals EXPECTED to be met with firearms during every attempted mugging they'd rethink their career choice very quickly. Secondly, strict gun laws are nearly impossible to enforce in a country with as large a population and as extensive borders as the United States. If a criminal wants a gun there is little we can do to stop him from getting it off of the black market. Lastly, it seems like you are making a huge generalization of Korean culture. Yes, their culture is arguably less diverse than American culture given heterogeneous background of the U.S. as a nation of immigrants as well as having a large territory for different cultural groups to remain fairly isolated and thus increase the cultural diversity but Korea's culture still has diversity. Not every South Korean is a happy, gentle smiling lady or fellow just wishing to smile and wave at every passer-by. South Korea has it's own muggers, rapists, gangs, and professional criminal organizations just like every other country in the world. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
25th October 2010

response
Chicago and Washington DC had gun bans and sky high crime to prove it. Washington DC has seen a big reduction in crime in the last 2 years after the US Supreme court ruled their handgun ban and the ban on loaded guns in the home unconstitutional. 3 percent of the counties(24 percent of US Population) account for 70 percent of violent crime. Asians are the most law abiding group in the United States and most Asians I know are gun owners, especially the Koreans I know. Half of our gun problems are by products from the Narco economy created by our drug prohibition. Most criminals come from broken families. Fix our drug problem, rebuild families and create a government that encourages rather than penalizes people for hard work and our gun crime problems will self correct themselves. BTW, when facing a criminal and critical seconds count, 911 gets the police in minutes. My 1911 Colt 45 cal pistol gives me instant defense. 99 percent of the time armed citizens don't have to fire shots which is why 1.5 million Americans successfully defend themselves annually and only a few hundred criminals get killed by citizens. Unlike certain police departments, the armed citizens aren't trigger happy.
7th December 2010

Glaring Incorrect information
You paint Korea as this idyllic, peaceful place, but it isn't at all. Every aspect of Korean life is somewhat 'gang-like' in nature. Abuse on weaker, younger people is not uncommon. You do/say something wrong, you get hit. Bullying is very common and very harsh in Korea. Power relations and hiearchies are more strict and harsh. On top of that, most people think the Korean police are incompetent and generally have no idea what they're doing. And behind close doors, they severely beat suspects into confessions of crimes. They don't confess out of guilt. They confess to stop the beatings and sometimes torture.
3rd July 2012

is korea dreamland?
Lot of people around the world is willing to live and work in usa, you can't say the same about korea, maybe because it is not the dreamland you say.

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb