Background: Korea was an independent kingdom under Chinese suzerainty for most of the past millennium. Following its victory in the Russo-Japanese War in 1905, Japan occupied Korea; five years later it formally annexed the entire peninsula. After World War II, a republic was set up in the southern half of the Korean Peninsula while a Communist-style government was installed in the north. During the Korean War (1950-53), US and other UN forces intervened to defend South Korea from North Korean attacks supported by the Chinese. An armistice was signed in 1953, splitting the peninsula along a demilitarized zone at about the 38th parallel. Thereafter, South Korea achieved rapid economic growth with per capita income rising to roughly 14 times the level of North Korea. In 1987, South Korean voters elected ROH Tae-woo to the presidency, ending 26 years of military dictatorships. South Korea today is a fully functioning modern democracy. In June 2000, a historic first North-South summit took place between the South's President KIM Tae-chung and the North's leader KIM Jong Il.
Photos from DMZ
Blogs from DMZ
Latest Blogs from DMZ
- May 4th 2013 DMZ tour
by Words: 1042 Photos: 21
- November 17th 2012 DMZ Tour, Seodaemun Prison, Wonju, Seoul Lantern Festival
by Words: 2696 Photos: 46
- November 4th 2012 Seoul - DMZ tour
by Words: 2243 Photos: 0
- August 27th 2012 Korea - the War Memorial Museum, the DMZ and complicated times
by Words: 530 Photos: 24
- June 7th 2012 DMZ/Panmunjeom wax soldiers and camera near escape
by Words: 851 Photos: 12
- May 5th 2012 DMZ and the Free Market
by Words: 514 Photos: 8
- April 25th 2012 DMZ Tour
by Words: 162 Photos: 1
- January 2nd 2012 Visit to "North Korea"
by Words: 1428 Photos: 7
- February 17th 2011 I know, I neglect this blog
by Words: 3 Photos: 38
- February 16th 2011 01.26.2011 JSA and DMZ tour in South Korea
by Words: 2230 Photos: 129
- August 9th 2010 The DMZ, Roller Coasters and Starcraft 2!
by Words: 933 Photos: 35
- July 23rd 2010 My Eyes Are Small, But They Have Seen...
by Words: 2376 Photos: 22
- July 14th 2010 DMZ
by Words: 447 Photos: 9
- May 27th 2010 A Nuclear War Could Ruin Your Whole Day!
by Words: 1394 Photos: 7
- May 23rd 2010 The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
by Words: 2812 Photos: 54
- March 14th 2010 DMZ
by Words: 1000 Photos: 31
- February 2nd 2010 When one townie falls in the forest....
by Words: 936 Photos: 8
- January 3rd 2010 Snow Gently Falling on my Dong
by Words: 1145 Photos: 10
- December 7th 2009 Dongchimming the Turkey
by Words: 979 Photos: 7
- November 17th 2009 The most extraordinary piece of wit and wisdom that America has yet contributed
by Words: 1225 Photos: 6