Busan (Pusan), South Korea - Busy, Busy


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Busan » Haeundae-gu
April 3rd 2014
Published: April 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

22ndMarch Busan, South Korea



After the peace, tranquillity of Japan not to mention how courteous everyone was, welcome back to the real world.



We had great welcomes and sailaways whilst in Japan and we arrived in Busan (formerly Pusan, don’t ask me why) on a beautiful morning with no formal celebrations whatsoever. And this was Queen Elizabeth’s maiden call to South Korea.



A very modern port on the outskirts of Busan itself, they seem to live their lives at 100 miles per hour. Technically North & South Korea are still at war following the Armistice which was signed in July 1953, but no peace treaty was concluded.



Our guide on the tour mentioned several times that they live with the threat of some conflict with the North, even since we have left there have been incidences with the North firing missiles etc. No doubt you have seen things in the international press.



Our tour took us to the Haedong Yonggungsa Temple (another one) unique because it is situated on the coast rather than n the mountains. Originally built in 1376 and rebuilt in 1970 there are 108 steps down to the Temple, which represent the 108 anguishes in Buddhist life. On should pray for removal of each anguish for every step taken. We did it both ways – so we must be cleansed (or something like that).



On the way t the Temple we passed the UN Memorial Park, the final resting place for members of 16 nations killed in h Korean War including 885 British soldiers. Poignant.



Onward to the APEC building (an extra part of the tour). APEC (Asian Pacific Economic Cooperation), a group of nations that work for economic harmony within the Asian –Pacific Rim. A conference in 2005 brought some much needed structure to the economics of all involved.



To lunch, at a South Korean buffet restaurant. Seating over 2000 people with every conceivable type of Asian/Japanese/South Korean food available. The only problem or us was, all the signage on the food was in Korean!!! So it was suck it and see so to speak – the guides had all disappeared, the people prepping the food didn’t speak English and there were about 6 coaches of foreigners (us) wandering around like headless chickens (there were some of those on the menu for sure) .We all got fed!!!



After lunch, to the Gukje marketplace – the larges streetmarket in Busan with over a thousand shops, over whelming and with all he jostling from people and motorbikes – not a very pleasant experience.



Our final stop was the Jalgachi Fish Market, Korea’s largest seafood and is famous throughout the country. Every conceivable type of fish/shellfish alive or dead. Enough said!!!



A very busy city, it was pleasant to get back to the tranquillity of the ship



Next stop Shanghai


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb