Living and working in Singapore - can lah!


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
February 14th 2009
Published: March 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Living and working in a foreign country, a completely opposite from the western world, is such an enriching experience!

For me, being a "banana" (asian-looking on the outside, but mostly caucasion in attitude in the inside) was especially insightful. I was welcomed with open arms by both the local and expatriate communities of Singapore; they shared their thoughts, support and experiences with me and this has enabled me to make Singapore my new home.

What took me by surprise:

- "Singlish": the Singaporean version of english.
So how? (How are you? What do you think about this? What's going on?)
Aiyah, cannot wait any more, must go oreddy lah. (Oh dear, I cannot wait any longer! I must leave immediately.)
He not feel well, so he stay home sleep lor. (He's not feeling well, so he decided to stay home and sleep!)
He speak english also can. (He can also speak english)

- Orchard Road on sundays:
On an average of $200 US a month, you can hire a live-in maid. She'll wake up before you and sleep after you. Every chore you hate, she'll do it...6 days a week. Sunday is commonly her only day off. So, she'll still wake up before you, but she will be wearing her best clothes, take a bus to the shopping central of Singapore, she'll be on her cellphone either texting or chatting excitedly with her friends about meeting up. All her other friends are maids too and sunday is also their off. They'll have picnics on the ground around shopping malls or give/get pedicures with her friends. Although they have such a tough life, they seem so happy about this one day off. It's quite a scene- to be on Orchard road on sundays.

- Sun and heat-phobia:
Umbrellas here have a UV protective-coating on them. They are not just used to avoid getting wet when raining, it is used to avoid the sun so your skin can remain ghost-white! Asians have a white-fettish, and hate the heat- which explains the full blast- icy cold air conditioning indoor temperature. However, after a year, I have found myself taking out the umbrella during a sunny day too! We are less than 10 degrees away from the equator!

- The food!The local specialties are inspired by Malaysian, Indian and Chinese cuisine.
Every morning, I go to a "shop"...ok more like a nook the size of a closet attached to an office building for my morning dumpling fix. It is served to me in a plastic bag perfectly suitable for me to squirt and drown my dumplings in chilli sauce. Yummy!

Here are some photos...



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

View of HBD building from metro stationView of HBD building from metro station
View of HBD building from metro station

"Housing building development" buildings are government-sponsored apartments. Most local Singaporean live in these massive complexes. At first glance, they look cold, impersonal and unwelcoming, but apparently, there is a great sense of community amongst the tenants.
Example #1 of sun and heat phobiaExample #1 of sun and heat phobia
Example #1 of sun and heat phobia

Why isn't this beach full of sun-worshippers? It's a BEACH in the city!
Example #2 of sun and heat phobiaExample #2 of sun and heat phobia
Example #2 of sun and heat phobia

It's a gorgeous sunny day! Why hide from it!?
Example #3 of sun and heat phobia Example #3 of sun and heat phobia
Example #3 of sun and heat phobia

Wearing a shawl to keep warm in the office- I never had to do this in Canada!


30th March 2009

ahhh Asia
miss Asia and miss you- just got back from Cruise. Exhausted.

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb