Countdown to Deepavali


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
October 24th 2008
Published: October 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Some interesting ritual in front of Goddess of Mercy TempleSome interesting ritual in front of Goddess of Mercy TempleSome interesting ritual in front of Goddess of Mercy Temple

All the bypassers were touching this medium sized Buddha statue and praying at the same time. Also this man with his little boy was doing the same ritual when we came by.
I am still as amazed as I was at the very first days in Singapore. Our lecturer said quite eloquently that this is the smallest island in Asia ( yes, we all know it is not actually the smallest..) but meanwhile there is the biggest number of hotels, enterprises and other leisure activities in the same island.
In Singapore one can do a lot of things in a very short time. And almost every human groups are represented here.
In our own are Hindus are preparing themselves to Deepavali. In cases there is someone interested in what does this festival really means I try explain it shortly.
Deepavali, or Diwali is a major Indian festival, and a significant festival in Hinduism, Sikhism and Jainism. Many legends are associated with Diwali. Today it is celebrated by Hindus, Jains and Sikhs across the globe as the "Festival of Lights"It's like just as we celebrate the birth of our physical being, Deepavali is the celebration of this Inner Light.
In our everyday life this festival shows a lot, which means that every place is completely crowded with Indian people doing their shoppings. And when I say crowded I truly mean it. The day before
Sri Krishnan TempleSri Krishnan TempleSri Krishnan Temple

and a tired man in front of it
we tried to do some light food shopping near by our apartment . The task which normally takes something like maximum 30 minutes took then 1,5 hour! and we came back sweating and smelling like monsters.
So our surviving guide has lately been, explore the other areas in Spore, and we have done that pretty afficiently. Let's not talk about moneys we have spent...and all those shoes we have bought..


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Arab StreetArab Street
Arab Street

Isn' t it quite obvious were we are :D


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb