Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
July 3rd 2008
Published: July 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

One of the things you get from traveling, is every now and then things start happening and you know the day isnt going to pan out the way it should have, and today was one of those days. Waiting for the bus to take us back to Cairns, with bucket loads of time, we noticed it was late, and then really late, and then it drove past us. We were going to miss the flight. Luckily the bus company was okay about it all and sent us a taxi which was cool and we arrived with enough time at the airport. We got on the plane and taxi'd for take off, the plane powered up and started roaring down the runway. Then the pilot put the brakes of and turned off the runway. Apparently some warning lights came on and he was going to reboot the system (surely he had rung up IT or something for this way to fix it). Time for the 2nd takeoff. Powered up, roaring down the runway, then braked again and headed back for the terminal. We were going to miss our connecting flight to Singapore surely?? Well the plane had an hour and a half of engineering and apparently it was now airworthy! Phew! The plane finally took off and lets just say we were a little nervy especially as it was a bumpy flight. We landed at Darwin and there was 20 mins until the next flight took off, and we had to make sure we got on that plane. It seemed like we were making a right scene as the Cairns side had told us it was all ok and the Darwin staff would be able to sort it all out, and the Darwin staff had not been contacted about us, luckily there were other passengers with the same problem (apparently not the best start to their honey moon!). We managed to get checked in, pass through immigration and board the plane all in less than 10 minutes. They had ensured us our bags had been manually put onto the plane. We got to Singapore in the end and went to the bag carousel.....only to find the bags weren't there!! We sussed out that the bags would not have had the right tags on as they hadnt been checked in and therefore would be lost in the huge Changi airport, and had to explain this all in simple english to the very helpful staff who luckily found our bags in an hour or so!! Phew! What a day.

Anyway, the next day we spent exploring the many different parts of Singapore including Chinatown and went for a Singapore sling at Raffles where it was invented. On the day all i wanted was a beer aswell, but couldn't bring myself not to have one! We then headed over to the well recommended Singapore Zoo and night safari which was really good. The Zoo is designed to make you feel nearer to the animals and almost scare you when the tigers start looking at you and start walking over. The night safari was good as it was a very cheap add-on to the main ticket, although it felt a little tame as there were loads of deers and not much scary stuff, although the comically soft sounding guide was a highlight..... He just tried and tried to make it exciting to no avail!!

Our one day in Singapore was over pretty quick and we didnt really need anymore time here - onto Vietnam!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0976s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb