We Sing Our Songs at Kallang Stadium for the last time


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
March 24th 2007
Published: March 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

National Stadium, Singapore


We Sing Our Songs
Venue: National (aka Kallang) Stadium
Date: Saturday, 24th Mar 2007, 7 - 10pm





This is really going to be my final visit to the National Stadium before it is razed completely apart. Visiting the National Icon for the very last time was indeed a heartwarming experience. About 5,000 of us had gathered eagerly for its finale concert "We Sing Our Songs". Familiar songs that were of a distant memory, that we grew up with, were played again and again. The audience sitting around us were singing loudly. It was a natural human instinct to blend in with the crowds. We enjoyed ourselves despite the minor rain. And of course, it was an honour to participate in the Kallang Wave for the last time!

As a child, I did not have many memories of the National Stadium. If I could recall correctly, our family of 5 had gathered together one day in the mid 1980s for a Labour Day Event where we won ourselves a $100 hamper (The hamper basket is still kept at home!). I spent a few months every weekend in 2001 preparing the NCC kids for their NDP event. And of course, we attended a few lucky NDPs where we were allocated tickets for our nation's birthday.

There were always constant feelings of despair when familiar structures around us were demolished. My primary school in AMK avenue 10 was one casualty in the 90s. In late 2004, it was time for my secondary's school to say goodbye. Bit by bit, familiar memories of childhood was taken away for the sake of modernisation.

In 3 months time, it will be National Stadium's turn to call it a day after 34 years of service. Who cares about the New Sports Hub anyway!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



26th March 2007

I was there too
Hee... i was there too! Was sitting at the 3rd row...
16th July 2009

Cheer Up
Cheer Up... Since you sang your final song, the Stadium is still up... after we were suckered into watching the Singapore-Australia match which was supposed to be the final soccer game to be played at Kallang... i think they should let the stadium be... they can install new roofings and other gimmickry without destroying a Singapore icon.

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb