Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Orchard Road
May 17th 2013
Published: May 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Chinese Mate??Chinese Mate??Chinese Mate??

This bloke looks terribly upset..... What did I say????
Hello Singapore - just passing through.



Following our first post, here the next instalment. Uneventful flight to Singapore after Peter's (PP) good friend Steve tore himself out of bed, on Mother's Day no less to get us to the airport for our early start. Thank you Steve, thank you Michelle. Singapore loomed clear out the port window as we lined up with the several other aircraft readying for finals. It brought back pleasant memories of our sojourn in Singapore at the beginning of our freighter cruise as we looked down upon a sea, literally, of cargo vessels on moorings and awaiting berths.



Quick flash through Changi Airport - they have finally completed all renovations, seemingly, and the passage from flight, to bag, to customs to out was eerily reminiscent, for Susan (CS) of the once casual Danes who seemed to be annoyed in 1969 when she stopped long enough to ask an official if she could just go through - of course, didn't everyone. Interesting how things change. Knowing how efficient the authorities are here we suspect some deep surveillance in lieu of long exacerbating queues, but whatever the method it is user friendly for
Line Dancing in Singapore?Line Dancing in Singapore?Line Dancing in Singapore?

Please miss...slow down, was it twirl around.. kick.. swing left.. or right.. or what... come on give me a chance - too fast.. Mummy! tell them to slow down!!!
the average 'innocent' traveller.



Orchard road accommodation ok and evening stroll down that shopping street par excellence in the humid heat of Sunday evening left us little alternative than to imbibe ridiculously expensive drinks at the Hilton on the way. An innocent underpass to avoid the busy 4 lane street mired us in an underground shopping mall that we were only very lucky not to get lost in for all time. Should expected further posts of our blog not eventuate please send search party.



Met some notables along the way evidenced in attached pics. The line dancing team were terrific and the little bloke was getting the hang of it very quickly indeed as we passed by.

What a lively, cosmopolitan, characteristically itself, place Singapore is. PP and CS have been coming here on and off for several decades and enjoy it every time. The first time for CS was in 1972 - another era. First stop on our 'Youth-in-Asia' six months back-packing adventure, our worst fear was that travelling companion, Robert, would be hauled away and have his not so particularly long hair shaved off. No longer the threat it was, with
Dinner Dinner Dinner

Oodles of noodles!
current male coiffure fashion the way it is. Similarly, the small Chinese resting place opposite infamous Bugis Street we stayed in was a far cry from this visit's 4 star. And Bugis is now, of course, a shopping mall.





Searching for 'authentic' Chinese food in Orchard Road is a thankless quest (yes, we know- go to China town, OK - but it was late by our time clock) and we had hoped to fulfil Ella's vicarious desires by finding just that special flavour. As it happened by the time we passed the Italian, Spanish and Irish establishments and had given up, we found the best little home made noodle place. Perfect fare at 11.30 (body time) before a very pleasing Hennessy VSOP (they were out of the Remy Martin) and then to bed.



Very gentle rising (checking out at noon helped) then quick diversion to China Town's medical halls to find the perfect herbal remedy for PP's persistent rasping cough. Back to Changi, 90 minute massages and refreshments prior to boarding our 'red-eye' to Germany.

One small wonder in this newly renovated, lush, vast, upgraded airport is the total absence of a middle or better quality restaurant. Lots of cafes and food halls instead. Ho hum.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 19; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1143s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb