Singapore Sling


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Little India
February 15th 2009
Published: February 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Singapore skylineSingapore skylineSingapore skyline

Photo taken from the bridge at Boat Quay.
In the midst of the current maelstrom unravelling with alarming speed around the world lurks a seemingly unstoppable monster, who is gobbling up entire financial systems without mercy. However, it's with a sense of relief I note some things haven't changed, despite the ongoing mayhem taking place in global stock markets. Singapore is still the can do island of South East Asia, and having just completed a 24 hour stopover the little city-state provides a sense of certainty in an increasingly uncertain world.

So despite all the chaos, the lovely reader, the effortless efficiency of the Singaporeans comes as a great relief, and helps reinforce the positive impression gained from a previous visit to this Asian tiger a decade ago. The beautiful and dynamic island state will always be the ideal stopover destination, and don’t think rocking up at midnight feeling tired and dishevelled will faze the locals for even a moment. Changi airport is open 24 hours, and the super efficient Singaporeans had me booked in a hostel in Little India. I boarded a shuttle bus from the airport to the Fragrance hostel, promptly checked in and was able to hit the hay with gratitude before 1:00am. It's interesting
Little pondLittle pondLittle pond

At the base of the Singapore flyer a few little guys come out of their shells to chill out on the rock!
to speculate on just how many world cities would have you sorted more efficiently, and life on the road only got better during the nexy day exploring the city.

I sprang out of bed like a seasoned travel dynamo the next morning, then staggered into the shower in a somewhat shambolic fashion to wash away the previous six months of work … which I eventually replaced with the equally familiar skin of an intrepid traveller. I emerged wet and bedraggled, but ready once again to explore! Alrighty then, it’s been a while since I got my race face on, so it’s time to put my hand up again to gain some fresh insights into this wonderful world we live in! Singapore Airlines is just the ticket if stopping over in the country for a brief visit.

The SIA hop on hop off bus is an excellent bargain, and being pressed for time was simply the best. As a stopover passenger I paid six sing dollars for the all day pass, which loops around the major sights in this modern marvel of a city. The pressing concern was where to get off the comfy air conditioned bus, and my
Summit on Singapore flyerSummit on Singapore flyerSummit on Singapore flyer

At 185 metres it is the highest observation wheel in the world.
first port of call was pretty random. However, it happened to coincide with a major department store where from past experience there are wonderful culinary choices, within the many food courts that make the city famous. Weary travellers can experience the full range of Asian cuisine for under ten dollars with super efficient service. After being fortified by the ultimate fuel for travellers I was ready to rock n roll!

I was feeling perky and the next stop on the SIA bus was the most famous tourist destination in Singapore, which has sprung up since visiting Singapore ten years ago. Everyone loves a winner, and the Singapore flyer is the undisputed world champion when it comes to observation wheels. This mighty structure is a serious piece of engineering kit, and when you look at the specs topping out at a height of 185 metres, and then add the bill from Mitsubishi heavy industries which came in at a cool $240 mill this mighty structure muscles up big time. The flyer is an awesome ride with unparalleled views of the city, and comes highly recommended.

From there it was fun to follow in footsteps imprinted from a previous visit.
Botanical GardensBotanical GardensBotanical Gardens

Rated a Michelin 3 star tourist attraction and an absolutely gorgeous spot to stroll around.
Boat Quay is still an amazing destination, as is the famous shopping precinct along Orchard road. I'd like to offer a quick high five to the locals after visiting Singapore Botanic Gardens, it’s a spectacular travel destination that has been given the prestigious Michelin 3 stars. Go for a stroll and check out the Orchard garden and the rainforest; oh yeah ... it’s real spiffy!

One of the great pleasures of travel comes only with age. So instead of stressing about the passage of the years, instead one can enjoy the opportunity to revisit a previous travel destination. Singapore is an Asian tiger that still roars and, basically all of you should be here now!


He who would travel happily must travel light." Antoine de Saint-Exupery


As I continue my travels, until next time it's signing off for now.

Tom

Note: Feel free to post comments on this site, or click on the subscribe button for notification of upcoming travel journals


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



25th February 2009

Rearing & Raging for a Roaring
Luverley to see someone out there is enjoying the wonders of the world, the orient is always a fascinating place to visit, whether it be holed up in the slums or swaying with the chic trend in urban utopia. Ciao Tommy Boy, lol.

Tot: 0.469s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 40; qc: 165; dbt: 0.3064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb