URA – Or How I Spent a Morning in a Government Agency and Liked It!


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Chinatown
May 16th 2012
Published: May 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Floating stadiumFloating stadiumFloating stadium

Yes, that's a floating soccer field. It was also the site of the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Summer Youth Olympics.
For most people – me included – the thought of spending a morning dealing with a government bureaucracy is akin to spending time in the seventh circle of hell. It is not something that leaps immediately to mind as a fun thing to do when you travel to another country.

However, the URA (Urban Redevelopment Authority) in Singapore is a definite exception. Sure, if you are a resident here, this is the place where you come to pay parking tickets, apply for building permits, and find the rules for renovation in conservation districts. But this place also houses a perfect scale model of the country, with every building, park and waterway marked.

The second floor is home to the Singapore City Gallery. This is full of fun, interactive exhibits that are exceptionally well done. For example, when you walk past on particular spot, a life-size image of an older Chinese gentleman walks into view on the opposite wall. He’ll stop and talk to you about Singapore’s original airport, and how pleased he is with Changi Airport today. There is also an interactive game similar to SimCity where you can try your hand at planning SingCity.

There is also
Gardens By the BayGardens By the BayGardens By the Bay

Built entirely on reclaimed land, Gardens By the Bay is intended as outdoor recreation space, at least until the country has a need for the land.
a section that talks about the history of land use in the country, and why a Master Plan was deemed critical. Singapore became an independent entity in 1965, and it is startling to see how much the city has changed in less than 50 years.

Singapore is a small island city-state, and long term land use planning is critical. To that end, this country has a 50 year Master Plan. Think of that for a moment. they are planning things today that won't come to fruition until the year 2060 or so. The Master plan is revisited every 10 years, but once infrastructure improvements are approved – even if for the future – they pretty much go forward.

Like every big city, Singapore has its share of skyscrapers as part its skyline. But what you don’t see is how deep the city plan extends below the city. You’ll learn about the ammunition storage facility that’s 48 stories below ground, and the underground shopping malls that link the above ground shopping malls. (Shopping is popular here!)

Look out front for the statues of the three Samsui Women, representing the women who were hired extensively as construction workers in
ShippingShippingShipping

Singapore is one of the busiest ports in the world. At any given time, about 1,000 ships are in the harbor, ensuring a balance between keeping the harbor and reclaiming land.
the 1940a and ‘50s. And even better, the URA is located across the street from the Maxwell Food Center. Follow your nose for a cheap, tasty treat.

Note: Sadly, the photos I took inside URA have gone walk-about. The pictures here are of actual projects planned in advance to make best use of available space.

Possibly useful info:

URA Centre

45 Maxwell Road

www.ura.gov.sg

Open Monday – Saturday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm

Free admission

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb